Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choosing the right gloves

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Gerbing or HD for heated gloves.
HD are made by Gerbing and carry the same lifetime warranty.

For non-heated gloves, I use a brand called Olympia.
http://www.olympiagloves.com/

I think the key to fitting gloves for warmth is not buying them too tight.
I actually found just the opposite for me. I normally wear a Large glove and got the Gerbings in a Large. While riding the palms were very warm but the top of the fingers were not. I could press my fingers up against the levers and they would warm up. I figured the air between my fingers and the gloves was keeping me from getting warm. I swapped them for a medium and they work like a charm now. The top of my fingers are almost as warm as the palm. I guess it's different for everybody but for me buying a smaller size was better.

I also like the Olympia when it's not too cold.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 PM
CasaWolves
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 146 Posts

go to the gerbings outlet...great deal on the heated stuff. its the best.
http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml

Old 01-23-2011, 12:51 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Udawg
I actually found just the opposite for me. I normally wear a Large glove and got the Gerbings in a Large. While riding the palms were very warm but the top of the fingers were not. I could press my fingers up against the levers and they would warm up. I figured the air between my fingers and the gloves was keeping me from getting warm. I swapped them for a medium and they work like a charm now. The top of my fingers are almost as warm as the palm. I guess it's different for everybody but for me buying a smaller size was better.

I also like the Olympia when it's not too cold.
I've got too much Swede in me so I ride in jeans and non-heated gloves at 35 degrees. Once my fingers finally get cold, they stay that way for hours it seems.

I think you're spot on that heated gloves will be warmest if your skin stays in contact. If you have unheated gloves, I find that too snug seems to make my fingers cold. A little air seems to help.

I also find that relaxing my grip when possible helps a lot. I kind of miss that cheap thumbscrew cruise control because I could stiffen that bad boy up enough to relax in the cold. My plastic cramp buster slips when it gets cold.

I have several riding buds who swear by Gerbings. One just plain wore a pair out and sent them in for repair. Gerbing sent him a brand new pair of the microwire units with a letter thanking him for his patronage - no charge. You could use them to make coffee on their high setting.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:18 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I go to the military surplus store and buy the leather shells with the wool liners. When it gets really cold, I slip one of those chemical hand warmers into each glove. Works for about 8 hours and doesn't break the bank.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have lots of pairs, but the best for me has been BMW Winter riding gloves or get the heated grips.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$10 glove liners from Bass Pro Shop work in leather gloves for our high 30-40 degree temps we get here.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 AM
"Big E"
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks top all that replied, I have the olympia gloves, but they are tight. Guess I should have got the 2X. mine are xtra large. the 2X harley gortek gloves fit better. she told me the same thing, tou dont want a tight fit. Im sure somebody in our group {just joined 2 months ago} has a bigger pair for me to try, and get $10 liners. that will be worth a try first before I dive in on the heated gloves.my hands have always been cold when most others with me are not. just last night, after hunting, my fingers were freezing with gloves on after riding 4 wheeler, everyone else was fine. Anyway,thanks for the info, this forum is awesome! for nubies like me. Im sure i will check out the gerbings sight and end up with some heated gloves, I sure would dhate to miss all those pretty days just because its 35 - 40 degrees. again, thanks a bunch, now maybe I wont waste no more money.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by lagrimas
go to the gerbings outlet...great deal on the heated stuff. its the best.
http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml
Most of the stuff in the outlet is either the old technology or ultra small.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by "Big E"
Thanks top all that replied, I have the olympia gloves, but they are tight. Guess I should have got the 2X. mine are xtra large. the 2X harley gortek gloves fit better. she told me the same thing, tou dont want a tight fit. Im sure somebody in our group {just joined 2 months ago} has a bigger pair for me to try, and get $10 liners. that will be worth a try first before I dive in on the heated gloves.my hands have always been cold when most others with me are not. just last night, after hunting, my fingers were freezing with gloves on after riding 4 wheeler, everyone else was fine. Anyway,thanks for the info, this forum is awesome! for nubies like me. Im sure i will check out the gerbings sight and end up with some heated gloves, I sure would dhate to miss all those pretty days just because its 35 - 40 degrees. again, thanks a bunch, now maybe I wont waste no more money.
I think BadPiggy is right on "Non-heated" gloves buying them larger makes them warmer but on heated gloves, I think it's the other way around.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:29 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Ain't nothing better than Gerbings when it's really cold.

If you don't want plug-in, I can recommend the Lee Parks Designs DeerTours PCi gloves. They're stupid expensive (too expensive), but they work phenomenally well from the high 30s up to the low 70s.

Quick Reply: choosing the right gloves