Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acrylic or polycarbonate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011 | 12:19 PM
halnwheels
Advanced

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
At least HD uses Lexan. Why would some top windshield makers use the Acrylic. I know that planes use very thick Acrylic windshields and some of the acrylic shields are thicker than the Lexans that they sell for motorcycles. After researching these two materials for windshields you might not want to ride behind one of them.
Lexan is a brand name Polycarbonate. Some source says that there is a process that makes an Acrylic windshield DOT compliant and that overall it is clearer and as strong and more chemical resistnt. I am not willing to test it.

Old 03-29-2011 | 10:22 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

Interesting...

Old 03-29-2011 | 11:40 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Overdoo
Acrylic is harder than plexiglass but is more brittle and does not do shock well as evidenced by the video. It's like glass or hardened metal for that matter. They are both hard as can be against pressure but induce shock into the equasion and they both break. Thats where tempering comes in. Plexiglass stands up to shock very well.
What???

Old 03-29-2011 | 12:31 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior

I mean! We have some verifiable video and specs for proof, but some are obviously still stuck in the past, and or know not enough about which they speak, and only wish to add to the confusion.

aka Bob

Old 03-29-2011 | 12:56 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

It was impressive to see the windshield take the ball bat and the slug.

I know that when it comes to an accident the last thing you want is sharp shards and jagged remains involved. Those broken windshields would certainly do some serious damage.

Wonder if they have tested helmets that way?

Old 03-29-2011 | 01:53 PM
LA VIC
Road Master

Acrylic windshields are the most fragile, least impact resistant version you can buy. We're talking Plexiglas as most folks call it. It optically clear, easy to form and super cheap! Some vendors increase the thickness to improve impact resistance. Take it from someone that works in aviation and has seen well over 1000 Plexiglas windshields changed in support of a fleet of aircraft. Given a choice this is the least preferable option.

Stretched Acrylic is As-Cast acrylic that has been stretched and completely alters it's ability to absorb impact. Bad *** stuff. That's what airliners use in windshields. Don't know if anyone make motorcycle windshields from the stuff.

Then there's polycarbonate. Very good impact resistance but always has a coating in the outside. Ever left bugs on your Harley windshield over the winter and found your windshield looked like it was peeling when you finally cleaned it? That's the hard coating that was eaten through by the acid in the bugs. You can not restore a polycarbonate windshield. Any abrasive will destroy the hard coating. Don't let the dead bugs stay on your windshield too long and it will serve you well for a long time.

Old 03-30-2011 | 04:39 AM
halnwheels
Advanced

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Acrylic windshields are the most fragile, least impact resistant version you can buy. We're talking Plexiglas as most folks call it. It optically clear, easy to form and super cheap! Some vendors increase the thickness to improve impact resistance. Take it from someone that works in aviation and has seen well over 1000 Plexiglas windshields changed in support of a fleet of aircraft. Given a choice this is the least preferable option.

Stretched Acrylic is As-Cast acrylic that has been stretched and completely alters it's ability to absorb impact. Bad *** stuff. That's what airliners use in windshields. Don't know if anyone make motorcycle windshields from the stuff.

Then there's polycarbonate. Very good impact resistance but always has a coating in the outside. Ever left bugs on your Harley windshield over the winter and found your windshield looked like it was peeling when you finally cleaned it? That's the hard coating that was eaten through by the acid in the bugs. You can not restore a polycarbonate windshield. Any abrasive will destroy the hard coating. Don't let the dead bugs stay on your windshield too long and it will serve you well for a long time.
Good post! I found this site that has useful information too.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...tml#Windshield
I contacted them and confirmed that they unfortunately do not yet make windshields for H-D but worth looking at their info. What they do say is that an Acrylic windshield can be made from Impact Modified Plexiglass which unlike any other Acrylic material IS DOT certified material. This is likely what is used in aircraft. Using this material would make a windshield that is not only impact resistant but much more optically clear than Lexan AND more chemically resistant and bug resistant. It seems to me that a windshield made from this stuff would be the one to get. I will try to find one for H-D and post that information here.

Old 03-30-2011 | 08:52 AM
Clearview Shields
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by halnwheels
Good post! I found this site that has useful information too.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...tml#Windshield
I contacted them and confirmed that they unfortunately do not yet make windshields for H-D but worth looking at their info. What they do say is that an Acrylic windshield can be made from Impact Modified Plexiglass which unlike any other Acrylic material IS DOT certified material. This is likely what is used in aircraft. Using this material would make a windshield that is not only impact resistant but much more optically clear than Lexan AND more chemically resistant and bug resistant. It seems to me that a windshield made from this stuff would be the one to get. I will try to find one for H-D and post that information here.
Hi Halnwheels...very good response. We just celebrated our 25th year in the business of manufacturing/selling custom motorcycle windshields and we choose to use high impact modified acrylic for reasons you mention. Our DOT # is 455. If you aren't familiar with our product line for HD, please check out our website or give me a call.

Old 03-31-2011 | 10:29 AM
halnwheels
Advanced

Originally Posted by Clearview Shields
Hi Halnwheels...very good response. We just celebrated our 25th year in the business of manufacturing/selling custom motorcycle windshields and we choose to use high impact modified acrylic for reasons you mention. Our DOT # is 455. If you aren't familiar with our product line for HD, please check out our website or give me a call.
Ahhh... My work done for me. Thanks. By the way people, their windsheld can be ordered wth a vent which I think is a great idea if you're going for a full height windshield. Unfortunately, I have the same H-D wndshield mounted case as they show in one of their pictures and the vent would be blocked. Perhaps they can offer two small vents on either the side of the case? Hint hint...

And... just to ramble on - I use a 3M film that is normally used to protect paint on car chin spoilers (and other vulnerable areas) and put this on the inside of the windshield where the case typically will rub against it and make it look like crap. H-D supplies a piece of clear stuff for this purpose but the 3M product truly adheres without adhesive and it also extremely tough.