Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning that first road trip...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Went to H&H a few years ago on a non-riding visit to Vegas. Was there on Saturday afternoon and the place was empty, but the barmaid was drunk so at least there was some sort of entertainment. As I recall, the t-shirt boutique was almost as big as the bar, so it had that 'touristy' feel to it. Don't get me wrong, it's not Applebees, but I think we picked up a sticker for the inside of the tourpack lid, and that was about it.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

First trip hes going to the dealer. LOL I would. The most enjoyable trips I think is to not have a time line as much as possible just ride how you feel. 3x7 hrs you can make that trip in 2 days I would go down in 2 days and take my time 3 days back.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Others may disagree with me but I think your riding plan is ambitious for someone that has not been on a road trip before. When we tour, we plan for 250 to 400 miles a day. We consider 450 a long day. Of course, we stop for a leisurely lunch, and intend to get off of the bikes for 15 minutes every two hours. We also are out for the ride, not to get somewhere on time for a tournament. Foul weather may also slow you down. I hope you have both bikes perfectly set-up for their riders. If you have any discomfort now on short trips, your body is going to be screaming at the end of the trip you have planned. A comfortable saddle and the right handlebars are a must. Highway pegs and a back rest help a lot.

Best wishes on your ride. I hope this will be the first of many touring adventures.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:17 AM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadWhipper
Thanks! Think I'll give the Kawa dealer a pass, cuz there's a VESPA dealer there!
The Harley dealer here sells Harleys, Vespas and BMWs....they have the Vespa's in a seperate showroom with the Sportsters

Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 AM
hxturbo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went to Hogs and Heiffers on thursday night. It was filled with all guys hoping to see the drunk girls dancing on the bar. It is hit or miss and I have seen it packed wall to wall. Go and enjoy. Weekends are the best bet.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Heathen
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a good side trip take a ride to Red Rock Canyon Park , Its close to Vegas and you can do it in an afternoon .

Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 AM
RoadWhipper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacknthebox
Since you said it was your first road trip I thought I would share regarding your intentions of driving only 7 hours a day. My brother and I went to Colorado last year - our first long road trip - a 1000 miles - I inquired on the forum here how many miles to expect in a days ride and got all kinds of answers - so, we planned on 500 miles a day. Turns out we left at 6 AM and stopped at 8 PM AND ONLY because the sun went down - and we traveled 850 miles that first day. So, don't be surprised if when you meet your first days destination at 3 in the afternoon you decide the days ride is not over (unless of course you have people and places to see).
Hi Guys- guess the headline threw you off, this isn't a first road trip for any of us, we've both been riding for a long time. I should have been clearer, I meant the first road trip for 2011

Thanks for all the tips!

Old 01-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Super-shep
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about bars in Vegas but do know a lot about road trips. I can't fathom only riding 7 hours a day. In May you've got well over 13 hours of light. Unless you're going on roads that you can't go over 45 or you're stopping every 50 miles, you're going to get at least 650 miles even with a long breakfast and lunch break. For me it's all about the ride and I want to be on the bike as much as I can, although I prefer back roads. Even taking back roads and stopping every 80 miles or so for a break or gas you should get 500 miles in 12 hours.