Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120R deposit paid... 09 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:21 PM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a little concerned about the SE Race clutch also. I spent some QT with my bike this weekend (still tucked away at the dealer waiting for spring) and was messing around squeezing the clutch. Man that thing is stout. I'm a bigger guy in pretty decent shape and that clutch will give you a work out. Hope I can build the strength up and get used to it because right now I sure dont want to ride for miles and miles of stop and go

Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SE clutch

Originally Posted by TheWhitedogg
I'm a little concerned about the SE Race clutch also. I spent some QT with my bike this weekend (still tucked away at the dealer waiting for spring) and was messing around squeezing the clutch. Man that thing is stout. I'm a bigger guy in pretty decent shape and that clutch will give you a work out. Hope I can build the strength up and get used to it because right now I sure dont want to ride for miles and miles of stop and go
Well the real sad part is that it is slipping on the dyno so i can't really justify the heavy pull, really does get irritating in traffic or at lights. Some are adding the vpc setups to their clutch setups to stop the slip but they only work when their spinning. If you make a lot of torque from the get go your not going to get much help from them. Most of the after market clutch plates have over twice the friction material compared to the HD plates. Diaphragm,coil springs,vpc, Barnett,Rivera,Bandit, easy pull systems just goes on and on. from a dead stop doing a hole shot or doing a burnout if you are depending on a vpc system to lock your plates i think your in trouble. I can deal with a fairly hard pull but not like that SE race clutch knowing it slips with the 120R

Old 02-13-2011, 06:19 PM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

on your se clutch, did you re-use your stock friction disks or get new se disks? the se catalog says its good up to 160 ft/lbs. if it wont hold, should get your $$$ back

Old 02-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 480lb Gold spring from AIM, it is just a little stiffer pull than stock, have not had the bike out yet but the pull is very reasonable, I dont see a issue in stop and go traffic. If you dont want to do the VPC, you could run the Rivera Primo Pro and get the gold spring from AIM and be good to go. I did not want a stiff SE type pull and the gold spring is something that I can live with. It also hooked up nice on the dyno with very little slip, very very little slip.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:38 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default SE clutch

Originally Posted by TheWhitedogg
on your se clutch, did you re-use your stock friction disks or get new se disks? the se catalog says its good up to 160 ft/lbs. if it wont hold, should get your $$$ back
I used the stock plates. The SE catalog says it will hold 160 crankshaft tq but if you look at the install instruction sheet there is a chart that tells you how to set it up. You bottom the nuts that hold the pressure plate down and back them off a specific number of turns to adjust the amount of ft lbs tq it will hold. This chart starts at 52 ft lbs rear wheel tq backing the nuts off 9.25 turns to 220 rear wheel ft lbs tq backing the nuts off 5.25 turns. There are 17 rear wheel torque settings on the chart,i set mine for 147 ft lbs which was 7 turns off the bottoming of the nut. It is so hard to pull i can't imagine only backing them off less. I have just heard tuners saying and read posts on forums saying it is slipping and i would like to straighten out any issues with it before i get tuned. The friction disc surface area is much larger on the aftermarket clutches which is probably a huge advantage over clamping the hell out of the HD plates. Trying to make a choice on one that goes into the stock basket and works without making my ride uncomfortable.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:51 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,591 Likes on 22,694 Posts

Very cool, but it's got me wondering if you did a stage IV to the 96, prior to deciding to go 120?
Just curious?
Did you do new cams, heads, tune, dyno, etc., etc.?
Is bigger always better, and was the cost cheaper to do the 120R than the aforementioned?
That is a fairly new motor, for HD no? What is the warranty on the 120R?
BTW; Congrats..and I hope that it is what it is purported to be..
I remember the big 130+ Merch motors here a few years ago as the Ultima motors.
Have fun!!
I'll just suffer w/my lil' ol' punched out as much as I can git 96'..

Old 02-13-2011, 07:01 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default 120R clutch

Originally Posted by Eric in chicago
I have the 480lb Gold spring from AIM, it is just a little stiffer pull than stock, have not had the bike out yet but the pull is very reasonable, I dont see a issue in stop and go traffic. If you dont want to do the VPC, you could run the Rivera Primo Pro and get the gold spring from AIM and be good to go. I did not want a stiff SE type pull and the gold spring is something that I can live with. It also hooked up nice on the dyno with very little slip, very very little slip.
I thought that you and Jim are running the vpc with that 480 diaphragm spring? Are you still using the stock outer clutch basket?

Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Stage IV 96''

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Very cool, but it's got me wondering if you did a stage IV to the 96, prior to deciding to go 120?
Just curious?
Did you do new cams, heads, tune, dyno, etc., etc.?
Is bigger always better, and was the cost cheaper to do the 120R than the aforementioned?
That is a fairly new motor, for HD no? What is the warranty on the 120R?
BTW; Congrats..and I hope that it is what it is purported to be..
I remember the big 130+ Merch motors here a few years ago as the Ultima motors.
Have fun!!
I'll just suffer w/my lil' ol' punched out as much as I can git 96'..
The 96'' is going to turn into something soon but not sure what yet. Just got a Se crank for it and sending it out.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master

Originally Posted by woosh
Friend of mine put a 120R in his new Street Glide and he was told he had to install a $2500.00 clutch upgrade..

He's definitely going to need a new clutch.Ask me how I know????? I think $2,500 might be a little high.I think my Rivera Pro was about $1000-$1,200.Then I had to put the VPC(around $400???) on top of that, & get a heavier spring!!!

Last edited by arealinvestor; 02-13-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
I thought that you and Jim are running the vpc with that 480 diaphragm spring? Are you still using the stock outer clutch basket?
Yep, Rivera Primo Pro clutch, came with the sliver spring, not up to the task, got the gold spring from AIM as they had the pressure rating compared to Rivera which only listed the Black spring as a upgrade, could be 480lbs, could be more. The AIM spring fits the Rivera. The VPC sits on top of the Rivera. I believe the Rivera used the stock basket but I never saw it, it shipped right to Jim for assy.

Quick Reply: 120R deposit paid... 09 FLHX