Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG Outlaw Z 10" vs. 12"

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RG Outlaw Z 10" vs. 12"

I have read many threads on the 12" and I may end up there, but there has to be someone that has installed the 10" by now. I'd love to see pics especially in black.

The key question for 10" owners how do they feel different from the stock bar?

The question for 12" owners is some were able to use all stock length while some said the break line needs to be extended. Where is everyone on that issue? If and when I pull the trigger on these I want everything lined up and ready to go. Steve has a number of great suggestions for helping the install. Any other lessons learned from those that installed these bars I'd love to read them.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDogNC
I have read many threads on the 12" and I may end up there, but there has to be someone that has installed the 10" by now. I'd love to see pics especially in black.

The key question for 10" owners how do they feel different from the stock bar?

The question for 12" owners is some were able to use all stock length while some said the break line needs to be extended. Where is everyone on that issue? If and when I pull the trigger on these I want everything lined up and ready to go. Steve has a number of great suggestions for helping the install. Any other lessons learned from those that installed these bars I'd love to read them.
I think the stock brake line looks like hell hanging down from the bars. The pictures on the Wild 1s site shows a couple bikes with the stock brake line. That's why I chose to spend the money on a braided line with a 90 degree fitting. The 90 line follows the bars perfectly. In fact, you can't even see the line when you're on the bike since it follows the bars so well. Nice clean install.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 AM
RedDogNC
Tourer

Originally Posted by sifularson
I think the stock brake line looks like hell hanging down from the bars. The pictures on the Wild 1s site shows a couple bikes with the stock brake line. That's why I chose to spend the money on a braided line with a 90 degree fitting. The 90 line follows the bars perfectly. In fact, you can't even see the line when you're on the bike since it follows the bars so well. Nice clean install.

That's an awesome point and your picture Steve seals the deal. Thanks for idea.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts

Stock clutch cable length works if you re-route it, but it flops on the forks. I will be getting a longer one. Stock brake line length also works but looks like sheet. Go with Steve's suggestion. Stock throttle cable length also works (if you have throttle cables) but also looks like sheet.

Here is a thread I started with pictures comfirming the sheety look of the stock cables and lines on my bike.

Zach

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...wz-are-on.html

Old 01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to see on the pic i have right now. But i have the 12's i am installing right now. You definitely want to go with the 12's. I did tthe same thing. I went over it and over it thinking i would like to see the 10's but when you get the 12's they do not look high in person at all. Very Very pleased. Can't wait to finish some of the work. Actually just putting her back together right now.

You can somewhat see the stock lines on mine but i will know more about the movement of it when i get her off the rack. Looks like the brake line is fine though. Definitley not as clean as Steve's. But i can say i will probably be going with the black braided lines when i get some more funding. I just want the stockers to hold out until i get my exhaust setup done.

Last edited by Brettcr; 01-21-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts

Looks good Brett.

Zach

Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer

Brett,

Those bars on your bike are outstanding. The angle of you took the photo at really makes everything proportional. I really want the bars now. I am still hoping to see a 10" even thought I'll most likely go 12".

What did you guys use as guide for breaking everything down and putting it back together. Did you just dig into it or did you follow a service manual?

Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 PM
baggerman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brettcr,
Looking at 12" Outlaws also. I was worried about the pull back as I am 5'8" with short arms. Do the 12 come back to you? The pull back is 8" which is about same or a little less than stock. You going to rotate them back?

Great looking bike!!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Kevin's_09FXDF
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to give you idea of the hight of the 10's here are some WO's
http://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid...02732&refid=13

Old 01-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea... the one on Kevins bike are not the Outlawz though. Really nice looking though Kevin.

I thought i would upload some new pics I just took. Sorry for the blurry ones. It was dusk and the camera wasn't handling it well but it givees you an idea on the bars. If you'll notice i have mine back a little more. I would've had them straight up but the truth is i have back issues with neuromuscular problems that leaves me all funky so now i am riding for comfort . I am 5'8 Baggerman. 30" inseam. Pretty normal build, not long in the torso or anything like that. I have the 2011 stocker seat i replaced mine with. These bars are really comfy as i took a 30 minute ride (35 degrees here today so just went out for a bit). Sooooo much better than stockers. I would think you would really like it. The cables are all stock. Did reroute the clutch cable under the forks but didn't touch the brake cable. Looksfine. I will do black braided cables later down the road but will be after the exhaust which may now be sooner than later thanks to a beautifully sweet wife!

Quick Reply: RG Outlaw Z 10" vs. 12"