Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody running these Samsons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:40 PM
North Star
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anybody running these Samsons?

The 4" x 30" Hi performance mufflers :

http://www.samsonusa.com/M-159.html

There's a sound clip on there too- sounds REAL NICE to me.

Now, before we get started, like the title says, I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with these. It seems everytime Samson is mentioned, people talk about Samson pipes they had ages ago, that were crap quality, etc.

All I know is one of my riding buddies has the regular Samson slip ons on his otherwise stock 2008 Ultra, and they sound real good- louder than mine and louder than the SE slip ons that another riding buddy has.
I'm guessing these 4" Samsons would sound even better on my CVO RG. His slip ons look good, and are holding up well. I'm guessing their quality has improved over the years.

I presently run a Fullsac head pipe with stock CVO cans with 2.25" Fullsac cores. I am looking for some more growl and volume. I have been debating back and forth between Rinehart 4" slip ons, CFR knock offs, or Jackpot 4" with competition baffles. At this point, I'm not confident the Rineharts will have much more sound than what I have now, and the CFR knock offs might be too loud, be of unknown quality, and might hurt performance.

So maybe these Samsons fall right in between those two sound wise?

How come nobody seems to run Samsons?

Old 01-21-2011, 11:27 AM
North Star
Road Captain

I just spoke with Samson and these pipes come with a 1.75" baffle, which to me is surprising, as the video clip on their website makes it seem much louder than one would expect from a smaller baffle.

Unless I'm mistaken- the smaller the baffle, the quieter the pipe- no?

If that's the case, maybe their soundclip is a bit deceiving.....it's hard to tell anything unless you hear pipes in person.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:52 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
I just spoke with Samson and these pipes come with a 1.75" baffle, which to me is surprising, as the video clip on their website makes it seem much louder than one would expect from a smaller baffle.

Unless I'm mistaken- the smaller the baffle, the quieter the pipe- no?

If that's the case, maybe their soundclip is a bit deceiving.....it's hard to tell anything unless you hear pipes in person.
I would think the smaller the baffle (length or diameter) the louder the exhaust.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,841 Likes on 11,563 Posts

Originally Posted by vickers1
I would think the smaller the baffle (length or diameter) the louder the exhaust.
With the Rush slip-ons, the larger diameter baffles the louder they are....
2" is louder than the 1.75", which is louder than the 1.5".

Old 01-21-2011, 01:30 PM
North Star
Road Captain

Yes, definitely the larger (diameter) baffle, the more sound you get.

That is what I was saying- if those pipes on the Samson website have the small 1.75" baffles, I'm amazed that they sound so good and loud, and I don't understand how they could be louder than my pipes, which it sounds like they are.

Also, I should clarify what I said in post #2- I didn't mean to suggest Samson is being deceiving with their sound clip- it actually sounds like a very high quality clip- what I mean is that listening to anything on the computer is deceiving as compared to real life.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by North Star
Yes, definitely the larger (diameter) baffle, the more sound you get.

That is what I was saying- if those pipes on the Samson website have the small 1.75" baffles, I'm amazed that they sound so good and loud, and I don't understand how they could be louder than my pipes, which it sounds like they are.

Also, I should clarify what I said in post #2- I didn't mean to suggest Samson is being deceiving with their sound clip- it actually sounds like a very high quality clip- what I mean is that listening to anything on the computer is deceiving as compared to real life.
Kenny was the rider on that bike in the clip and he becomes a little heavy handed with the throttle sometimes. when you listen to the clip you can tell when he shifted to second gear he got on the pipes more than first gear. this allows more sound to bypass the louvers in the baffle and just pas through the baffles. Kenny has been riding Harley's since 1969 and he just likes to ride fast at times, well, almost all of the time.
thank you,
JR / Samson

Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
rkgreen
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have samson slip-on on my 07 ultra, love them, great perfomance, sounds better then most slip-on on the market, not all...there deep throaty sounding and they don't have that poping sound most slip-on make.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:18 PM
slarson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I don't do mufflers