Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tri bar install...help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default tri bar install...help please

installing a tribar light and rear fascia on my 09 roadie. where i am to plug the light in is where i believe my license plate light plugs in. (top left). i really would like both run and brake option on this. what do i need to do please? thanks

Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On mine it pluged into the taillight...had to take it off and run the wire into it then it just pluged into it pretty easy. mine is a run and brake light.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

here is a pix. the loose plug is for my l/p light and plugs into the spot where the tribar light should plug. the t/l is plugged in below it.

Attached Thumbnails tri bar install...help please-dscf0728.jpg  
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If your turn signal bar has the license plate light built-in, you have a tri-bar light intended for use on an EG or other bike with a fender tip light or RGU. When the fender tip light is removed to install the tri-bar light, the chamber is available for the tri-bar light connector.

On SG's with a tail light, the circuit board's upper left chamber is used for the license plate LED's in the turn signal bar, and the tri-bar light is connected to the bike's tour pak wiring harness.

Chances are you can exchange the LED for the correct one, i.e. the run/brake version for SG which will have the correct connector on the end of the harness for connecting to the tour pak harness connector.

If you want to keep what you have, you'll need to splice the license plate and tri-bar lights so the two lights can share the same connector plugged into the upper left chamber.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 01-21-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:01 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SPARKY01
installing a tribar light and rear fascia on my 09 roadie. where i am to plug the light in is where i believe my license plate light plugs in. (top left). i really would like both run and brake option on this. what do i need to do please? thanks
Hey Sparky . . .

I reponded to your PMs but I wanted to post here in case someone reads this and has some better intel on this.

First, I believe there is an unused loom on your bike somewhere under the left side cover. It is the loom that would go to a tourpak if you had one. This look has all the wires you need to install the tribar light. I'm guessing on this because all I know is what I've read in some other threads. My bike has a TP so that loom is being used.

Second, if you can't find that loom, I would recommend that you tap into the wiring under your taillight. I tapped into the wires going to my ACC switch for my Kury Driving lights. It looks clean and will last forever. I soldered them and used shrink tubing on mine. None of those funky connectors that work loose.

Hope you get some feedback on the loom. That would be the best way to solve this. Otherwise, get out your soldering iron, shrink tubing, and heat gun.

Steve

Old 01-21-2011, 12:01 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

bump for sparky