Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with carb removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM
capstone
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with carb removal

I can't figure out how to get the throttle cables off my carb to I can remove it. There is a cable coming down that wraps around a wheel and feeds back up. Then a second cable that connects to the side with a plastic rotating gromet. How do I get these off?

I have the choke, vacuum and fuel lines disconnected and the carb is broke away from the manifold. Just need to get the throttle cables off. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

You have to loosen the cables up by the trottle. There is usually a rubber boot on the cables right after they come out of the hand control, slide the boots off, loosen the lock nut and break the cables down, (screw them all the way together) that will give enough slack to get them off the carb

Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
capstone
Advanced

Hey I forgot to post I have the throttle cable adjusters loosened all the way up and that gave me some slack to pull the carb out a bit. But still not clear how they dissconnect from the carb.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...what Harley Tuner said...plus...at the ends of these cables are little tiny barrel shaped end-nubs for lack of a better word. These end-nubs fit into a little slot. When you loosen up the cables so there is lots of slack in them, you can manipulate the cables to get the barrel end out of the slot, that's how you free them up. By the way, these end-nubs are on both ends of the cable, and the same method applies if you were swapping out the throttle grip too.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turn them till the cable lines up with the slot and slide them out.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:52 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

also...with the carb loose, try turning the throttle wheel at the carb itself, all the way till you see the cable ends, then you'll figure out how to get the 2 cables off of the wheel, which will free up the carb to remove

Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM
capstone
Advanced

Got it guys, that is what I needed! Thanks. I've done it at the throttle grips before and should have known it worked the same way at the carb. On to rejetting!

Old 01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

And be sure to have a bucket of used nasty oil nearby for the little brass pieces to jump into. All kidding aside, be very mindful about those little brass barrels until you have them secure in your hand and put in a safe place.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:09 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

The little brass barels are on the Grip side of the cable, built into the cable on the carb side. Most carbs can be re-jetted on the bike.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Those little brass barrels are called "ferrules" in case you have to go to the dealer tomorrow and buy one. Ferrules are known to bounce and disappear, ( until the bikes back together with new ferrules.!!!) Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Help with carb removal