Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look....No Hands!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:02 AM
_Locutus
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Look....No Hands!

Maybe it's a plot by H-D for us to keep your hands on the grips?

Old 10-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 96 heritage ran strait as an arrow but the 06 Roadglide pulls a little to the left, i moved my tools to the right bag and now it too runs strait with no hands

Old 10-03-2006, 08:56 AM
lowleveldriver
Tourer

I think Gmoney may have a good point. I remember from sport bike riding some theory. That big *** clutch cable on HD bikes, angular momentum, centrifugal force, wind and road grade. []

Turning the handlebars to the left changes the angular momentum vector from L to L + DL. The motorcycle leans to the right. Now if we intentionally move the contact patch line( where the tire touchs the road) from vertically beneath the Center of Gravity, the bike will start to lean.

For example, if while riding the bike straight ahead, we press on the left bar the front wheel points to the right. The front wheel tracks to the right (sometimes called “out tracking”). So the weight of the bike and rider is now to the LEFT of its “support” on the ground, the tire contact patch. Because the weight is to the left, the bike leans to the left. [] It is important to note, for a LEFT turn, we initiate a lean to the left by pressing on the left bar, turning the front wheel to the RIGHT. This is often referred to as COUNTERSTEERING: a turn to the left initiated by turning the front wheel to the right. So after saying all that theory sh&^ that clutch cable maybe doing it. This is just my BS theory get a cable clamp. Or ride with both hands[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 10-03-2006, 10:07 AM
GreighWolf
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: _Locutus

Maybe it's a plot by H-D for us to keep your hands on the grips?
[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 10-03-2006, 11:11 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: g money

I really think it is the clutch cable pushing the front wheel to the right and the bike naturally goes to the left. Kinda like that counter steer thing.
Gary D.
I dont think the cable is the problem.I think it more like the frame geometry,wheel alignment or forks.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
MixedNuts
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO it's the rear wheel alignment.
I'll be performing an alignment myself since the factory will not. I'm told it's normal by the factory rep.
Seems like a lot of us have the same thing. Maybe we should ALL complain to the factory.
I don't think a vehicle should pull you into oncoming traffic.
Any bike should track straight by itself regardless hands or not!

Old 10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 8,351 Likes on 4,329 Posts

It's caused by the Coriolis Effect of the Earth's rotational spin to our East. You all must only be riding in the Southern Hemisphere all the time cause it pulls to the Left. If you move to the Northern Hemisphere then it will pull to the Right. Ah!... but if you move to the Equator then that puppy should steer pretty straight, but then the damn swamps and sand dunes'll get ya!

Need to think more about this... hmmm .... need some morning coffee, I think...

Old 10-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They just had the real story on FOX NEWS.
With the election coming soon the democrats are hoping everything starts leaning left - this is just the start.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are not holding the handlebars what are you doing

Old 10-03-2006, 01:01 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll limit my response to Touring models only. An RK can pull left for two reasons. 1. the windshield is mounted off center and the wind resistance against the windshield causes the bike to pull one side of the other. Most cases the windshield is off center to the left as you face the bars. ( Known Fact) 2. The rear wheel/tire is slightly facing right causing the bike to pull left. Aligning the engine by adjusting the engine turn buckles will correct the rear tire alignment. to check the rear alignment get 2, 8 foot flourescent bulbs, put jiffy on a 2x4 block, fasten the bulbs with tie bands or tape to each side of the rear tire, with the bulbs forward by the front tire, center the front and take side to side measurements. loosen front and rear egine turn buckles and tighten front buckle slightly to pull the engine left and loosen rear buckle to comppensate the front adjustment. Measure front tire side to side until you have the tire centered.

On a good road with no crown, I can ride for miles with my cruise set and no hands with nothing more than a little body shift. Don't forget to have your saddle bags balanced weight wise. A bike should not have any pull!

Quick Reply: Look....No Hands!