Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads for Polished Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:27 AM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Pads for Polished Rotors?

I'm still waiting on my new 21/18" wheel setup to arrive. This wheel set will have the polised stainless front rotors. Do I need to change out the stock brake pads to an aftermarket brake pad set to help preserve the polished finish? If so, what brand and will my stopping power be reduced?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW, I put EBC pads on my PM polished rotors, I can't remember which ones but they make organic pads that are easier on polished rotors.
Their website has good info. www.ebcbrakes.com

Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you actually ride the bike, I don't think you will find a pad that stops as well as stock and not mark up the polished portion the pads ride on. There are organic/softer pads available, but I cannot see how a less aggressive pad can provide the same stopping power. The breaking force is created by friction/heat, friction/heat is created by aggressive pads.

I would contact EBC and see if a compromise is available between function and appearance. I put the sintered EBC pads on my polished rotors and they left some serious marks in the pad area (of course, it stops great).

Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm running a Lyndall pad that is supposed to be easy on rotors but does not stop as well as the stock pads. I'v got 20k miles on those rotors and wheels. Stock pads will really eat the polished rotors. Any brake pad that stops is probably going to mark the rotors if you ride much

Attached Thumbnails Brake Pads for Polished Rotors?-p1010010.jpg  
Old 01-20-2011, 10:40 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I use the OEM pads on my polished rotors. They eventually cut into the rotor surface but it is uniform and the rotors still look good.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put a set of Lyndall's on my RK with polished rotors after running stock pads - it actually re-polished the friction area after a few 1,000 miles. I did not put them on for that purpose. I put them on for reduced brakes dust. Having the friction area worn did not really bother me. I have used Lyndall's on every bike sense.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

EBC Kevlars will leave a nice satin sheen on your polished rotors. Been running 'em for about 10 years with no complaints.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Pads for Polished Rotors?-img_0825.jpg  
Old 01-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

We also recommend the LRB Z plus pads for polished rotors. In my personal experience the pads worked great and were more rotor friendly than the stock pads on my polished rotors.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:22 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tpmurray
. I put them on for reduced brakes dust.
Is this the best available for reduced dust ?? I'm tired of having to wipe brake dust from my white walls..................

Old 01-21-2011, 04:10 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the brake dust is almost eliminated. I used to have a bike with WWs so I know what your saying. I used the Lyndall Z pads on my last two bikes and would highly recommend them. However, next time I would try Lyndall Gold Plus, said to be a little stickier. Nothing wrong with the Zs though.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for Polished Rotors?