Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads for Polished Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I'm more into function than form.
I prefer my bike to stop over looking good.
Too many people that are much more important than a $300 dollar rotor depend on me.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:10 AM
AbnMP13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the best place to get the Z's?

Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

We always have the Z pads for Baggers in stock. $45 with free shipping to the lower 48 states if you buy two sets or more.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the information. I went ahead and ordered two sets of LRB Z-Plus pads to install with my new wheels. Lrb claims that they offer 20% better stopping power over the stock pads and they also claim that they are the most "rotor friendly" pads on the market. I guess time will tell.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:25 PM
3itodd
Tourer

lyndall is what i got on mine love em!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer

One more question. I was thumbing through my Service Manual to see the procedure for changing out the front brake pads and there is a note in there that says the following; "Always replace brake pads in complete sets for correct and safe brake operation." So I guess this means that I need to change out the rear brake pads as well. I'm using the stock rotor on the rear since it can't really be seen behind the muffler. Should I get new stock brake pads for use on that rotor and use the LRB pads up front only, or should I also convert to the LRB pads on the rear? Just wondering if the LRB pads will work as good on the stock rotor as the stock pads. Also wondering if there is an issue running two different types of pads.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Cme2c
Tourer

I think they mean replace both pads in the front wheel SET if you are doing the front or both pads in the rear wheel set if you are doing the rear. You don't have to replace both front & rear wheel sets at the same time. Also realize that you will not have the braking power with a set of chrome or polished rotors that you do with stock rotors due to the lower coefficient of friction.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer

Then I should be fine sticking with the stock pads on the rear, right?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:41 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Simple. Don't use your front brakes. The friction area on the polished rotors isn't going to stay polished for very long.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer

Originally Posted by slhanks4
Simple. Don't use your front brakes. The friction area on the polished rotors isn't going to stay polished for very long.
Yes, know they won't look new for very long. I just want to minimize the amount that they wear and make the worn portion be uniform. From what I've read from other member's posts the stock feroius pads will tend to dig into a polished rotor more uniniformly than the carbon-kevlar pads.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for Polished Rotors?