Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fork leak HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fork leak HELP!! Update and more questions

I added chrome lowers a few days ago and now have a minor leak coming from the 6mm dampner bolt on the left side. I don't have the hex head to fit my socket wrench so I tightened it with a allen wrench.
I bought new bolts and washers when I did it. Am I just not getting it tight enough?
Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited by BuckeyeRider; 01-22-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:06 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you tighten to spec or forget the copper washer? if not it just might be some you forgot to clean off when putting back together?

Old 01-18-2011, 03:08 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Did you install the copper washer? If so try getting the right tool thats long enough and tighten it a tad more. Worked for me.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sears or even harbor freight has the sets cheap for long socket-ed allens

Old 01-18-2011, 03:20 PM
straightleg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I took mine off, I took them to a small shop. That Harley mechanic if I remember right said he really torks them down, and I thought he said he puts alittle silicone sealer on them.

Just what I remember

Straightleg

Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain

Thanks all, Harbor freight here didn't carry and sears wanted 75 for a set.
I took the fork out and inspected it so I wouldn't lose oil.The washer was on. The spec is 132 inch lbs. I have torque wrench just not the tool.
Will try to tighten again. I would'nt think you could put silicone on it. wouldn't want to contaminate the oil,

Old 01-18-2011, 05:17 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain

I noticed some gunk in the hole and scraped out with a screw driver and wire brush. Hopefully that was not allowing the washer to seat flush.
I will try to make a tool at work tomorrow like Dawg did. If that doesn't work I'll bite the bullet and buy the ones at Sears. I may need them down the road for something else.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:47 AM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain

I thought I had it solved. I got the right tool and torqued to 132in lbs as called out. I didn't have a leak showing for nearly a week. My bike was still on a jack as I was waiting to put on the new brakes.
I got the brakes on yesterday and lowered the bike down. I held the front brake lever in at was pushing up and down on the front end testing them when I noticed fork oil dripping from the bottom of the left slider AGAIN.
I getting ready to go out and tighted again. Can I just tighted as tight as I can?
Will/Can I over torque?
Its pissing me off cause I just put a flush mount axle on and have to tap out the seated nut to get to the 6mm dampner screw.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeRider
I thought I had it solved. I got the right tool and torqued to 132in lbs as called out. I didn't have a leak showing for nearly a week. My bike was still on a jack as I was waiting to put on the new brakes.
I got the brakes on yesterday and lowered the bike down. I held the front brake lever in at was pushing up and down on the front end testing them when I noticed fork oil dripping from the bottom of the left slider AGAIN.
I getting ready to go out and tighted again. Can I just tighted as tight as I can?
Will/Can I over torque?
Its pissing me off cause I just put a flush mount axle on and have to tap out the seated nut to get to the 6mm dampner screw.
Personally, I don't think "tight" is your problem. I think you need to replace the little copper washer that the 6mm bolt/screw deal uses.

I've done many front end jobs and never had one leak and I don't crank the bolt down 132 inch pounds either.
Only as tight as I can with a 1/2 inch ratchet with a 1/4 reducer attached to a Bit adapter with a 6mm bit inserted.

Either the cup at the bottom of the fork internals (inside the fork) is not seated right, or your 6mm bolt and washer are totally hosed or misaligned somehow, or you have two copper washers in there, or maybe you have a crack in the slider - unlikely.

I hear you on the flush mount retainer. I've had to knock them out too.
Better to remove the wheel and tire and use a two arm pulley puller to push it back out. Sucks I know.

Hope you get it figured out...

lp

Last edited by lp; 01-22-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 AM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lp
Personally, I don't think "tight" is your problem. I think you need to replace the little copper washer that the 6mm bolt/screw deal uses.

I've done many front end jobs and never had one leak and I don't crank the bolt down 132 inch pounds either.
Only as tight as I can with a 1/2 inch ratchet with a 1/4 reducer attached to a Bit adapter with a 6mm bit inserted.

Either the cup at the bottom of the fork internals (inside the fork) is not seated right, or your 6mm bolt and washer are totally hosed or misaligned somehow, or you have two copper washers in there, or maybe you have a crack in the slider - unlikely.

I hear you on the flush mount retainer. I've had to knock them out too.
Better to remove the wheel and tire and use a two arm pulley puller to push it back out. Sucks I know.

Hope you get it figured out...

lp
Thanks,
I used a new screw and washer when I rebuilt. I just got everything out and just rechecked the torque spec and it says 132-216.
I will crank in to the 215 mark and put back together. Wish there was a way to check/test without having to totally reassemble but what else am I going to do on a SAT afternoon at 5 degree temps outside.

Quick Reply: fork leak HELP!!