Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 RKp jerks forward while holding clutch level in and starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:11 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does the same thing even when it 90 degrees outside. The only time I start in gear is when my neighbor is outside and he makes smart azz comments how my bike clunks when I engage the trans so I start in gear to eliminate the clunk. HaHa now go ride your classless Honda fokker. lol

Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
I doubt the clutch was dry since it's a wet clutch & is bathed in oil. The problem arises from the temperature where you are. A wet clutch never truly disengages, it slips. When it's cold enough the oil doesn't allow as much slippage until it's warm. You'll feel the bike jerk when you start it, & maybe even pull a little while it warms up. You should be able to hold it back, but if you can't it's time for a clutch adjustment. If you can't push it at all when it's off & in gear I'd also look into adjusting the clutch, but it should be stiff if it's cold enough where you are.
Actually if the bike has been sitting for a long time...The clutch pack is not bathed in oil...The proper oil level in the primary with the bike upright and level is at the bottom of the clutch pack...so if the bike is sitting on the side stand the plates aren't in that much oil...In my opinion it is always best to start the bike in neutral with the clutch lever in.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealer told me it was going to do that the day they uncrated it and said it would be normal so I never gave it another thought. Until now

Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Tip of the day ! I always start my bike in neutral, Then pull in clutch, and back my bike out of garage, that way one set of clutch plates are rotating one way and the other set is rotating in the other direction. That way when I put it in gear it makes absoultly no noise, give it a try.
Jonnierock

Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JONNIEROCK
Tip of the day ! I always start my bike in neutral, Then pull in clutch, and back my bike out of garage, that way one set of clutch plates are rotating one way and the other set is rotating in the other direction. That way when I put it in gear it makes absoultly no noise, give it a try.
Jonnierock
LOL Never heard that one...Must be some kind of fancy clutch set up on your bike.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 AM
RK Ivan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best to start in neutral and I still from habit press in the clutch, unless I am in garage off the bike..even then...

Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 AM
PeterRG2009
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it Jumps all the time I'd hold the front brake as well.
But if you start in Neutral that point in mute.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Actually if the bike has been sitting for a long time...The clutch pack is not bathed in oil...The proper oil level in the primary with the bike upright and level is at the bottom of the clutch pack...so if the bike is sitting on the side stand the plates aren't in that much oil...In my opinion it is always best to start the bike in neutral with the clutch lever in.
You need better oil. I have a set of plates that I took out of my FXR 13 years ago. They still have oil on 'em. If your oil drains off while standing all the parts in your motor are going to be subject to excessive wear from the time you start cranking till you reach full pressure & fill all the lines, galleys, bearings, etc.

I do start my bike in neutral, but it's because I park it in neutral. There's no appreciable wear difference either way.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 PM
09rkpolice
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I warmed it up and the clutch is fine. It must have been stuck.

I'll change the oil. What oil do you recommend?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:27 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,329 Likes on 1,998 Posts

Originally Posted by JONNIEROCK
Jonnierock
Trust him, it works. Wet clutch's act like a torque converter and keep things spinning.

Quick Reply: 09 RKp jerks forward while holding clutch level in and starting