Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking primary oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:48 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

glad you found the problem , should be ok , dealer forgot to put oil back in my primary and did about a 400 mile trip and did not even notice anything till almost home , got harder to shift, checked for problem found no oil and filled it up and ran anouther 6000 on bike before I traded it off and had no problems so you should be fine

Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 AM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, are you suggesting that I trade the bike off after this trip? Hmmm, ok I'm going to use you as a reference when I tell my wife that I "have to have" a new bike.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread is a good reminder to anybody having Dealer's do your service, Go over the bike when you get home. I know there are good Dealer's out there, but things like this is happening too often.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:06 AM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
This thread is a good reminder to anybody having Dealer's do your service, Go over the bike when you get home. I know there are good Dealer's out there, but things like this is happening too often.

Wow is all I have to say. That is just to bad. Seems you would think the Moco could hire guys a little better than the Jiffy Lube guys. It's almost like you drive your car into Jiffy Lube and they forget to put the oil pan plug back in and you drive away. Wow is the only word for it. I am thinking I would be calling the dealership that did the work and have a nice chat with the Service Manager and if nothing comes of that the Owner of the place. Glad you got her fixed though.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 AM
RexBuck
Road Master

Oh yah - I'll be having a chat with them. They won't be open again until I am in Mexico but I will call. I'm thinking they may want to cover the cost of plug, oil, gaskets and cab rides.

I should have known better. This is a good dealership as is my own. And they all seem to get sloppy from time to time. Have had stuff left off, not tightened, etc. Should remember to check it. This is one of the reasons I do all of my own servicing and the only time it goes to a dealer is for warranty work.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RexBuck
So, are you suggesting that I trade the bike off after this trip? Hmmm, ok I'm going to use you as a reference when I tell my wife that I "have to have" a new bike.
well not the reason I traded it off , I went to my local dealer for one of there sale events and fell in love with my new bike but if it helps I will post a different note on how bad the other bike was and how much it was going to cost to repair it

Last edited by 1st 96 ultra; 01-18-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back to your original leak.......since they replaced the mainshaft....the inner primary case has a bearing in it that the mainshaft goes through. The bearings race is pressed onto the mainshaft before you put the inner primary on. If you dont press that on exactly right the seal will leak. I had a race "walk" on the shaft and caused a leak on my 99. I kept thinking it was the primary cover gasket. I had to completely dissasemble the primary and cut the race off the shaft and press a new one on. May not be your problem but there is a good chance since they changed out that shaft.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Glad you got it fixed! On another note that was mentioned.....you are able to check the primary while on jiffy stand without it leaking?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad the leak was simple, even though aggravating. Other than the possibility of road grit entering, you'll be fine. The primary will go a while with just residual lube.

If you think it will be helpful, we'll all jump on with about a hundred posts insisting it needs to be traded so the OL will buy off. Just let us know.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If it were me I would take pictures of the oil all over the bike and the missing drain plug. I would also make sure I kept reciepts of everything you did and purchased for the bike so you have a record of it if something happens later. You might also take it to your local dealer when you get back from your trip, tell them what happened and have them inspect it.

Quick Reply: Checking primary oil?