Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Oil Change Made Easier

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 PM
taximan62
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Oil Change Made Easier

I attempted a fork oil change on the 09 Ultra a week or so ago and used the method described in other posts using a funnel and clear plastic tube that will fit in the threaded hole once the tube cap was removed. Did that and had a small spill on one side, oil left inside the tube and funnel clinging to the sides etc. etc. After measuring out the correct amount of oil I had no idea if I actually had put in all or the correct amount.

There had to be a better way.

Well I went to the local farm supply store and picked up a 60CC syringe and some 1/4" OD X 1/8" ID fuel line hose.

Well the first test was the hose and sure enough you can get it through the hole in the inner cap and get it into the forks.

So fork oil drained and drain back in I suck fork oil in the syringe, put the line in the fork and attach the syringe to the line and squirt it in. Works perfectly! So manual says 10.7 oz or 317ml. 60CC syringe so 5 syringe fulls and another with 17CC (1ml is 1cc)

Only problem was the last 17cc as it started to come to the top of the tube so I left it for a bit to settle and then did the last 17cc's. Then took syringe off the tube and drew in some air and reattached to push the last bit of oil from the tube into the forks.

So I found this tool to be super accurate, less messy than a funnel and overall easier to use and control. Pics of the tube and syringe attached.

Attached Thumbnails Fork Oil Change Made Easier-dsc_0011.jpg  
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like You figured out an easier way, I'm saving Your post if You don't mind.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:23 PM
snip0721
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep, works great. i got mine from the veterinarian down the road. also works well to "cc" heads. steve

Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great idea

Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Cool idea! This job is on my list for the next few weeks since doctor says I can't ride until late February. Might as well get some things done. This will help. Thanks again.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

That is what i did too...the funnel idea is a bit messy...I sell these 60CC syringes at work...

Old 01-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I did a fork oil change when I pulled my inner fairing off to get it painted. Of course the fork caps were very easy to get to and did not need any plastic tubing to fill, just a small tipped funnel. Actually it is the exact same type of funnel that H-D now sells for putting oil in the oil tank on Touring Bikes. It fit right in the hole real well. A little oil does stick to the side but I compensated by adding just a little bit more oil to the forks. When I drained the forks, with the front wheel off the ground by the way, I drained them each into a measuring cup to see how much came out then used that measurement, plus a tiny bit more, on refilling the tubes. With the wheel off the ground the tubes drain and fill very easy. No problems at all with the ride.

After all, these aren't the hydraulic cylinders used on the hatch the Space Shuttle door gunners use, they are just a set of Japanese forks.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

I just finished my fork oil change about 10 minutes ago using iclick's writeup. Only difference was I used the HD oil catch that goes under the oil filter when draining as one other forum member suggested and I used a measuring cup for pouring it into the funnel. The tube with this funnel fits perfect.

Remember you have to only put in a few ounces at a time and then compress the shocks or it will over fill and drip down the shock.

Not saying you have a good way of doing it, just saying I had absolutely no mess doing the way the writeup was written.

Thanks iclick!!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job, Thanks for the write up!

Old 01-16-2011, 02:58 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do ya have to use HD fluid or are you guys using something different?

Quick Reply: Fork Oil Change Made Easier