Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96" back to 88" am I going backwards??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well here is my thinking; I set a budget of $20K since I just bought a new Silverado. I can buy a newer stock bike and not be happy with it or buy an older bike and add all the mods I want, BB, 2-1, cams, PCIII, etc...... The bike is hardly broke in and I love the color (fire red pearl/black pearl).

Old 01-16-2011, 07:15 PM
blindsquirrel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a bike that makes big power, handles like a sportbike and has impeccable reliability, you've probably heard about the Honda Goldwing. I'll take my '05 Road King any day...with its inferior frame, imminent cam tensioner failure, and who knows what else that could go wrong at any moment but probably won't. It's a bike with soul, and I like that.

<whew> No, you're not going backwards with a TC 88.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just what I wanted to hear! Now there's a man with some soul!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:59 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts
Thumbs up

I've stated on previous posts, I like the shorter stroke 88" config.

I've ridden a couple punched out to95.
Both ripped. Plenty fast. You can always bump the eng sprocket which will give you 6th gearing w/5 sp box. With the extra power and torque, you won't even notice the higher gearing down low, You'll just go faster in each gear.

My 88" w/203's and TH goes pretty good.

I would like to try one of the new 103's though. One of those opened up so they could actually breath must get out n go (I would hope) They sure got em corked up from the factory. We were at the new/old Oakland dealer yesterday. There was a guy doing a test ride on a new Ultra Road Glide.
Poor thing sounded like it was barely running (Craftsman Air Compressor)
Pffft ffft ffft ffft ffft ffft.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a bike and ride. Who really cares what year?

Old 01-16-2011, 09:11 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sallyman
so does anyone like their pre 2007 touring??? Or pre 2009 with the new frame?
I have an 05 classic and 06 ultra classic. Would not even consider trading my 06 for a NEW 07 or 08 model due to the heat issue. I may have the only one in existence but i think my 06 rides and handles better than any 09 up bike that i've ridden . I like the bigger back tire but i hate that electronic throttle.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3000 a year, get the 2006.... hell get something even older.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Get the damn thing. I don't know how you ride but for me, not being a knee dragger on a bagger, the old frame is as good as I need or ever wanted. Of course I am one of those riders that have been perfectly happy riding Harleys going back to 1973.

Like you, I don't leave them totally stock and as I recall I was perfectly happy with the five speed and even the four speed. I also don't need IDS on my '07 FLHRS. I also like my S&S on my '96 evo but that doesn't mean that I don't like fuel injection on my '07.

I have not ridden the "new" frame and don't feel any need to as I am perfectly happy with the "old" one. Like I said at the beginning, get the damn thing. You know you will regret it if you don't.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:58 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

I've had a 2007 Electra Glide and a 2009 Ultra. Yes, I feel the difference in frames and riding performance. I wouldn't go backwards. Just my .02.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i love my 08, first year of the tbw, brembos, and lots of other stuff but retains the old style frame. i used to have an 02 dyna low rider and that 88 wasn't slow at all. the additional 3/8" of stroke that makes our 96 motors is fine, but i'd not be afraid of even a bone stock 88 if that's what i wanted. if you like the idea of a six speed, they're available. i really liked the simplicity of the carbed bike too. fuel injection means that you gotta take it to someone who's equipped to scan this, and diagnose that, etc. going backwards isn't a bad thing at all.

Quick Reply: 96" back to 88" am I going backwards??