Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain Gear - What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 AM
rkool
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H-D Men's Packable Rain Suit (98028-09VM) with Rain Gaiters Lug Sole (98349-07V). Wear it over everything. I keep my rain gear in one saddle bag, cold weather riding gear in the other. Weather changes quick up in the mountains.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My first rain suit was a Frog Togg, it worked for light rain but not really for riding in it for any length of time. I switched to the HD Overpass II 97059-07VX. Nice....

Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 AM
abbksb
Novice

Have a set of Frog Togs. First time I wore the pants I burned a huge hole in the right leg from them touching the pipes. On the lookout for something that won't burn like newspaper when it gets near hot pipes...

Old 01-14-2011, 01:41 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default +1's

Ya get what ya pay for in the HD stuff, gaiters are a must for the boots, reflective piping is great. Wife and I have the orange and black and hers even has flames that show when it gets wet. Pretty cool. We both have worn them when it gets cold out unexpected too.

PROBLEM, don't ask me how i know. Some of the HD gear has boot sturups and if they get caught on the heel shifter, things can get ugly. 1 time scare and I cut them off. I have lowers so no need for them.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had good luck with the frogg toggs (road toads). I have used them several times and no problems so far.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:17 PM
hyfly1
Cruiser

I have been very satisfied with the 2 piece rainsuit I got from Chillhowee a couple of years ago. It has kept me warm and dry through some rainy days(felt like a monsoon!).

http://www.chilhowee.net/motorcycle-...061017002.html

Old 01-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

I have a "Furygan" Rain Suit I bought some 18 years ago. It's a heavy duty green overall with white reflective stripes that refuses to leak but becomes a steam cooker after 3 to 4 hours.

In 2009 I bought a "Motomod" all weather jacket made with modern fabrics and it includes an inner removable jacket: it's not comfortable because the body sweats even when the outside temperature is cold

Now I have a beautiful HD thick leather jacket with removable polar fabric inner liner. The comfort of wear is fantastic so is the price
But when it will rain I don't know what to put on top of this jacket or should I go back to my green giant overall ? (Kids don't wave at me anymore)

Has anyone tried dish-washing gloves for riding under pouring rain ? Apart from looking ridiculous you'd be surprised by the accuracy of contact you have with the switches and throttle handle. Modern textile gloves are a bit too thick at the fingertips IMO and they slip easily over a smooth surface and stiff throttle grip.
As of waterproof boots or boot covers, I still have a set of "IXS" boot covers from the old days, similar to the ones sold by HD. As long as you don't need to apply any lateral force between your feet and the ground you're OK.

Riding in Europe when it rains means riding at 80 mph under pouring rain !
_ The best face protection I ever had was with a Cromwell helmet, leather nose to chest mask and large goggles.
_ The full face helmets tend to collect water towards the back and drips into your neck. Proper ventilation of the perspex depends on speed, so it's far from being perfect.
_ 3/4 face helmets collect mist from the bottom upwards, so you get wet again.

I want to tour Ireland soon and I'm curious to know what I will look like this time

Last edited by Expat1; 01-14-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:18 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Offshore foul weather jackets and bibs made for sailors; bulky and not easy to pack (it will take up most of one saddle bag) but worth the trouble as nothing else will keep you as dry and as warm. I have as set from West Marine, they are bright yellow and the jacket has several reflective patches making the set more visible than any motorcycle specific rain gear I have ever seen.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:02 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm using Rain Rider 2 piece that I bought back in 1983.I expect that some rainy day it is gonna blow off me and I'll be left with nothing but the sleeves.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Overpass II, 97059-07VX, and love it in cooler weather. It works great. As the weather gets warmer it can be very hot!.

I also have the Gore-Tex Paclite jacket, 98306-07VM, I carry in warmer weather. It works very, very well also.

Quick Reply: Rain Gear - What do you use?