Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain Gear - What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 AM
Garcou
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fxrg jacket, gloves, and frog Riggs when it gets really bad

Old 01-14-2011, 01:58 AM
Cheese Head
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flintshooter54
I use Frog Toggs. Pack small and work great!
http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/RoadToads.shtm
I had Frogg Toggs riding gear...for one ride. After spending the next three days cleaing melted Frogg Toggs off my pipes, I will never recommend them again. They do not have a heat patch on the lower leg that gets close to the exhaust. You don't even have to touch the pipes...just get close enough and you will melt a hole in them. Other than where the holes melted in both legs, they did a good job keeping me dry. I realize the the Frogg Toggs are cheaper then other products out there; but, even at $60 I can't afford to treat them as a disposable item (wear once and throw away).

I have gone back to my H-D branded rain gear. It is considerably more expensive; but, I have learned with Frogg Toggs that you get what you pay for. The heat resistant patch on the H-D rain gear works very well at preventing your rain gear from melting.

Last edited by Cheese Head; 01-14-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:44 AM
Irish Hogster
Cruiser

I use the HD Hi-Vis suit and i'm really pleased with it. It has some nice features and is well made. I take the same size in the suit as my leather jacket so i think they must be cut to suit.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:31 AM
softone
Cruiser

Whatever you get, go for the Hi-Vis and avoid solid dark/gray colors. Rain can get nasty. Very hard for other drivers to see you. The bright orange on your backside and arms is a great help plus reflective tape. I have HD. Works well. Look for the gripping additive on the butt area too. Helps to keep your seat in the wet saddle. Got my set 2nd hand for a good price - no holes lol. I got the gaitors too. Found out the hard way my legs/boots didn't have enough wet/slop/mud coverage and my boots slid on the wet pavement at stopping - had my boots re-soled since. Rain gaitors are not for everybody but I roll them along with my raingear in the pack and am prepared to keep going in bad weather. I also like to stay with boots with no ties/zippers if possible - no entry for the elements. Keeps the air/wind/water out with 1 solid piece. Deciding on a suit depends on how hearty of a rider you are thinking of being. Some riders turn in at the first op so gear that is just basis wet proof works, some prefer to ride out the storm. I try to keep going thus the sturdy gear.
+1 on the lower leg heat patches too.

Last edited by softone; 01-14-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 AM
FXDWG30
Advanced

Bought the medium grade (priced) H-D rainsuit. Wanted the heatshields on legs and visibility features. Wore it a couple of ties last year, 1 downpour and stayed perfectly dry. Cant speak about any others but like most things, I would assume you get what you pay for.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:57 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDWG30
Bought the medium grade (priced) H-D rainsuit. Wanted the heatshields on legs and visibility features. Wore it a couple of ties last year, 1 downpour and stayed perfectly dry. Cant speak about any others but like most things, I would assume you get what you pay for.

+1
Picked up a set for the wife & myself a couple of years ago and can't be happier. No water leaking inside, has the leg protection for the pipes and the jackets pack into it's own little bag w/ the pants inside. Good stuff!

YELLOWBIRD

Old 01-14-2011, 06:00 AM
thecort
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tek74
Hmmmm.....I've never heard of Frog Toggs. I'll definately look into them before deciding.
From what I'm hearing from ya'll on sizing, if I wear an XL jacket, then I'd go with the same XL rain jacket.
Cool.....I like things easy.
I use my Harley leather jacket & a pair of Frogg Toggs Elite Highway Rain Suit pants (I paid $100 3yrs ago now they're $80). I've used them to ride back from Laconia (8hrs in the rain) & up to Americade (another 8hrs in the POURING rain). Kept me bone dry. I've used the jacket 3 times & it works great too.

My buddies all had the cheaper Frogg Togg (Dri-Ducks) suit & they didn't do as well. Between the wind shredding the back, like a flag, & the exhaust melting the legs they were not happy. Those cheaper suits didn't seem to be made for motorcycling.

Just my experience, though. There are plenty of suits out there to choose from.

Definitely get a size to fit over your gear.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:31 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used the HD Canal rainsuit for several years. I can't tell you about size because I got a men's small (I wear women's medium), but I do know that it has kept me dry thru some major thunderstorms. The pants have a heatshield on the inner portion of the leg so you don't have to worry about getting too close to the pipes. Everything squishes down pretty small, so they don't take up much room in the saddlebags.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:36 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Flintshooter54
I use Frog Toggs. Pack small and work great!
http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/RoadToads.shtm
+1 - They are also light weight.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 AM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wear HD High Vis with boot gaitors and stay dry in downpour.

Quick Reply: Rain Gear - What do you use?