Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Advise ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I run the K&P Engineering oil filter with a Lenale fan. Only use the fan in stop and go constuction traffic and temps rarely get above 240.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:53 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at these, they may be the BEST LOOKING ones I have seen ? Has anyone used them and what is the performence ? They cost about the same as the others.

http://www.billetcool.com/

Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the billetcool 296 on the White Lightning. No temp unit so have no numbers for you. I consider it a heat sink rather than a cooler. Two different ways to lower oil temps.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Ran a cooler on my bikes for years,now don't bother.They all seem to run within specs and I avoid traffic jams no matter how far out of the way is needed.Almost never ride in the city.Remember no air flow no cooling,once the air flow starts the bikes do great on their own.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Troubleman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first got my bike, it would get hot and go into cool down mode when it shouldn't have at moderate outside temps. Really sucked, especially when it died. I had the dealer reinstall the stage one download, which they didn't want to do, but had them do it anyway. I haven't had a problem with overheating since. I did install the HD premium cooler last year just because I can. A little extra protection and should provide less stress on the motor.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:18 PM
ENTERPRISE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I was gonna put on the HD Cooler last summer, but after speaking with a guy that I know that has one, I changed my mind.

He says that his Ultra fully loaded with wife and their gear going 80-85 down the interstate, the temperature gauge still hits 300 degrees.

That's when I decided to go with the Oil Bud. http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/1003_...ion/index.html

They guarantee a 35 degree drop, so even at twice the price of the HD I figured that was the way to go. It does not disappoint.

i really like the looks of these but was wondering about if it would affect the oil presure.did you notice any drop in pressure after the install.would love to know

Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE
i really like the looks of these but was wondering about if it would affect the oil presure.did you notice any drop in pressure after the install.would love to know
My pressure increased just looking at your signature pic.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Valkyrie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
Does an oil cooler really help even when sitting at lights/idle? Even the ones with the fans?
The idea would be to have the oil temps be cooler when you approach that traffic light

Old 01-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Installed HD Cooler. Prior to installation I saw 250+ regularly, NOT GOOD IMHO. I have not seen anything over 220 since the installation, even in 115+ Desert Heat.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I was gonna put on the HD Cooler last summer, but after speaking with a guy that I know that has one, I changed my mind.

He says that his Ultra fully loaded with wife and their gear going 80-85 down the interstate, the temperature gauge still hits 300 degrees.
My experience doesn't jibe with your friend's, as on the highway I've never seen >210°, although I don't ride 2-up. For me, oil temps with the HD cooler have only hit 230° rarely and only in heavy summer traffic. If your friend is seeing 300° with a cooler I would suggest that he try to find the source of the problem, as this isn't normal. Sumping is the first thing that comes to mind.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Advise ?