Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 PM
BIGGUY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals Question

I'm wanting to go with true duals on my 2010 SG. I like the look of the true dual pipes where one comes out the right side and the rear cylinder comes out the left side. Do the pipes that run like this cause a lot of heat for the passenger? The pipes where both come out the right side and one crosses under just don't look right and some look like they would come close to the ground if you took a curve hard. (IMO) Which would be the best way to go? Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:50 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I went with True Duals because liked the Looks and Sound both .. Heat has not been an issue since it has been tuned properly ..

Old 01-13-2011, 05:56 PM
tarheelbagger1964
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have true duals which cross under the bike, never have noticed drag on but have drug the floorboards plenty..just got extended bags for sg and it has a metal skid plate on outer edge but haven't noticed drag on those. You need to get true duals and get rid of the catalytic converter for heat to be improved though. gotta sound better too imho

Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 PM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The crossover is higher than the frame on my 09 SG with V&H duals but the front header is lower than stock on the right side and it has drug once or twice while performing a slow right turn on an incline.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

The crossing-under of the pipe going to the left muffler was purported as a design that would reduce the amount of heat on the passengers left leg when compared to designs of earlier models. And folks say it does seem to help with heat issues on the passengers left leg. The big heat generator in new model header pipes such as the ones you have on your glide is the embedded catalytic converter (cat for short) on the right side of the motor. It has to get really hot to do it's thing and that spells high temps from the right side of the bike for the rider. Particularly noticeable in the summer months. Any air cooled engine design is going to create heat in the summer months (not noticed nearly as much in the winter), so that is a given, but the cat intensifies this heat. Many have chosen to either remove their stock header and remove the cat, or replace the header pipes entirely with aftermarket headers from various vendors.
There are no reports (at least that I have seen) that suggest that the cross-under pipe has ever scraped the ground. I think that would be almost impossible. The floorboard mounts would scrape much sooner than the cross-under pipe.

Check out the Touring Forum sponsor, Fuel Moto. Also, Vance & Hines makes great quality header pipes for your bike. Both vendors also offer an array of slipons to complete your mod. If you change the air intake, you will need to incorporate a fuel management device. Jamie at Fuel Moto can walk you through what will work well for your glide. And of course there are others, so do your research and don't get in a hurry. You will eventually come to terms with what you need to do to get your glide pumpin and thumpin. Have fun lookin'.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 PM
rns99
Cruiser

I switched to true duals on my 09 SG to get rid of all the heat on the right side. Passenger really liked it.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:03 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On my 05 it made a huge difference in heat. Sides imo true duals sound best.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:24 AM
fatbob
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey Danmo, have you noticed the dreaded torque drop in the lower rpm with the true duals?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm running Rinehart TDs, which have pretty much cured the heat issue for my bike. Love the look and sound, and I've no complaint with the performance, either.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:02 AM
Solitario
Tourer

I have a 2009 with bub7 true duals and kerker mufflers (reinhart dont make fishtail mufflers, sad)

Before that I tried all possible combos. my bike is 2009 rk european model so it came with a cat in the 2-1-2 section.

first I did, kerker mufflers, ac, sert, results: sound tiny, perform better, heat ramains the same

second. bought stock 2009 USA headers without a cat, kerker mufflers ac and remap with sert, results: sound a bit louder (not much), perform similar, heat is gone!!!

third. bub7 true duals, kerker mufflers, ac, sert with dyno map. results: bike is lazy at low rpm and a rocket after 3500 rpm, looks awsome with one pipe on each side, No heat, and sound... now sounds stereo and much louder, same muffler now sound like a thunder, so loud I needed time to get use to them. I also tried to put stock mufflers with bub7 td in order to get some backpreasure to see if bike rides better at low rpm, well... with bub7td and stock mufflers you get some torque back but I toke them off because stock mufflers have diferent baffles inside and one is open and the other one is close so thats not good at all for a td system. you know what? stock mufflers with true duals are loud, in fact anything you put with td is gonna be loud and anything you put with 2-1-2 system (dosent matter if theres a cat inside or not) is going to sound quiet.

thats what I learnd after 2000$ and 6 months

please excuse my english, im from spain. I hope this message helps to people trying to find the holy grail of exahust system

Quick Reply: True Duals Question