Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone gone from an EG to a Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Irish Hogster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone gone from an EG to a Deluxe?

Im getting a serious itch that I want to scratch!
Owing to a change of circumstances I wont be doing any any long haul holidays this year on my 10 LTD.
I feel I want a bike I can just cruise around on when I do have a moment and something I can modify in due course. I've been looking at trading for an 11 Deluxe (I know I will get raped on the price) - I love the new purple colour and am thinking fishtails and maybe apes/beach bars in due course.

Anyone ever made the move to a Deluxe?

thanks

Trevor

Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,536 Likes on 22,682 Posts

No but I did go from a softail to a streetglide.
No regrets outside of taking on more debt for the glide and more debt to get the glide up to snuff.
I wouldn't go back that's for sure.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:20 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Why not 1 or more of each?

Seriously, it is a personal choice, we each have our own wants and desires.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Older Guy
Tourer

I went from Ultra to Deluxe, as I have got older I got tired of all the weight of the ultra. bought the Deluxe and set it up for 2 up riding as my wife rides with me most of the time. I was concerened about her comfort but she loved the Deluxe. She told me it gave her the feel of riding on the bike and not in it like the ultra. I loved it and untill the SG came out and then I went to the SG ,air ride and handles great. Less weight then ultras.
Retro 08

Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did back in July of last year. Went from an 08 UC to a 2010 RK. Gave up some top heavy weight,but not the great ride. If I were to trade for a Deluxe, it would have to be the Softtail Convertible. Love the looks!!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

I got the itch and moved from an Ultra Classic to a Softail Custom. Reason was I wanted something lighter and more nimble around town. One year later I sold the softail and went back to an Ultra. I liked the softail around town, but I missed the Ultra's ride quality, bags, fairing and comfort for two-up travel.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Have not made that move, but it's your itch so you have to decide to scratch it or not. A softail with Apes and fishtails is a great looking ride and if your not going to be doing long hauls or a lot of highway time, there is no reason why it won't be a blast to ride the deluxe on short and medium range rides...

It's not like the deluxe is and old rigid with a 4 speed and a leaking motor, they are good, solid bikes with a great drivetrain and you can even get them with ABS now. I'm sure you could take down as many miles as you would want on it for a couple day ride, if you get the chance this year.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 AM
hamnhog
Cruiser

I have an 09 UC and last fall we bought the wife an 06 Deluxe to replace her XL1200 (which we both hated to ride). She loves the Deluxe. I've ridden it for short distances and like it better than the Sporty but would never give up my Ultra for it. It is easier to ride, being lower and lighter but you pay for that with more vibration and a somewhat harsher ride. As suggested above, find a used one priced right and have the best of both.

Ride safe.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

If you can afford it go for it--- if on a budget, get a detachable kit for your bike, and make it a little slimmer.

I tell you my EG Classic is alot more nimble without that extra tour pak weight swinging around back there,

I have other bikes, the EG is getting all the use, thinking about maybe moving on my FXR, just don't ride it much anymore

mike

Old 01-13-2011, 12:16 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 on the quick detach for the tour pak.

Quick Reply: Anyone gone from an EG to a Deluxe?