Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which is your preferred shield and why ?
Clearview
22.70%
Longride Shields
29.08%
Fastaire
4.96%
Other?
47.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Aftermarket Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm 6'1", ride an '06 SG. Stock 4" dark shield sucked. HD 6" dark shield better, but stil caught air. 6" dark Windvest, pretty good, the head shaking turbulent air was up over my helmet and I could easily see over it, still has a decent "chopped" SG look. 8" dark Windvest, little tall but still see over, almost no wind very nice, little too tall for the chopped look, but after a few days the look grew on me. I'm keeping the 8" windvest, the benefits of less wind and noise is more attractive to me than the appearance of the shortie shield. Based on the preferences you listed, I would highly recommend the 6" dark Windvest, I'm confident you will be very happy with it. Congrats on the wedding, have a great honeymoon ride.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:42 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD
Hey Tom, how you been? I haven't seen you on here in a while bud! I was in the same boat as you. I tried the 6.5" Clearview w/recurve and it was great. Found a 8.5 KW for a great price, and it is good too. I'm thinking I like the Clearview better, it throws a ton of air over your head. I'm 5'7, so the 8" should be perfect for you. The 8.5 KW is great for me up here in WA during the colder months, so I will probably switch back and forth.

Gimme a shout and I will send the KW to you to try and you can ship it back when you're done, if you'd like.

Glad to see you back, and CONGRATULATIONS for the up-coming marriage. Good for you!
Hey Jonny, been very very good. I'll get with you on the shield and thanks for the offer. Thanks for the congrats, I'm very very lucky indeed.

To all who have replied, thanks!

Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I currently have an 11" Freedom shield. Very stout windshield and the finish on the edges/curves are fantastic. Excellent shield ....

Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I make my own. Buy a 24" X 48" X .177 sheet of lexan from WW Grainger for 35 bux.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:40 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Badbagger, Bobby here from Tallahassee, formerly at DOC. I have used some of all of them and am currently using the Long Ride 8" Ultra Flip and it works great ! They have a great price on them right now and I think you might like that one too. I'm like you and don't want to look thru a shield and this one works for me great. I'm 6'3" but I still think the 8" would be the one for you too. Good luck and congrats on the new soon to be bride !!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Currently running LRS Ultra flip & love it! I have had several Fast Aire shields and they are great too. Wanted to try a "curved" shield & LRS's is on sale for $59.00!!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:31 AM
JoeTag
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a LRS Ultra. It is priced right and allowed to buy a shorter windshield while provide the necessary protection. I would definitely buy another.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,922 Likes on 22,773 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbagger
Any thoughts or suggestions on windshield height will be a help and something that won't make my head bobble around from buffeting and also protect "width wise". Comments on issues, quality of shield etc are SURELY WANTED!
What works for us may not work for you...
You really don't want us to sell you on our tastes do you?

It's a trial and error thing man..

I would recommend buying several more of the fast aires in different heighths as they are fairly cheap, then you will know what works for you.
This will allow you to figure out the "right heighth" for you or what is comfortable to you.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:55 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i am using the memphis shades...see a lot of them on bikes. price is right too.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:55 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
Currently running LRS Ultra flip & love it! I have had several Fast Aire shields and they are great too. Wanted to try a "curved" shield & LRS's is on sale for $59.00!!

I've tried both the clearview and the LRS. The Ultra LRS is quite a bit thicker than the clearview ( I just broke my clearview) and has more of a flip. I think I will stay with the LRS. Also as stated above there is a sale on them right now, even without the sale I think they are cheaper than the clearview. One more thing, you might want to check out the Clark Custom windshields, they are a few inches wider on each side than all the other shields. I have one of those and like it too.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Windshields