Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help anyone RIO RED formula

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 AM
prestaino
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help anyone RIO RED formula

Bought a 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra and want to paint a new fender a filler pieces Rio Red.. Harley won't sell the paint... Even to it's dealer and won't paint it themselves... Anyone know the formula or where to get it ... Or do I have to go to a custom guy and get the computer to read it then futz around with it and get it as close as possible??? Any sugg. Appreciated.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:10 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought I would try a different dealership to see if you were getting okey-doked, you weren’t. You were probably told the exact same thing by your dealership, but since you didn’t include the info in your post, I’ll share what I was told for everyone else’s benefit. Rio Red is CVO only paint, and therefore categorized as restricted. Custom Vehicle Operations bikes are very limited production, making them “special”, if anyone could buy the paint and use it on any bike, the color wouldn’t really be that “special”, hence the restriction. This makes perfectly good sense to me, limited production vehicles are not a new concept, I imagine you would find that other manufacturers have similar restrictions. This is an assumption, but I simply can’t believe that HD wont sell you a replacement painted fender, so you must be trying to use a different style fender to further customize your Factory Customized bike, so you need matching paint. I highly doubt HD will help you achieve that, but I’m waiting for an answer, will let you know. Next time lay it all on they line up front, instead of trying to make your dealership seem reluctant to help. You should have just bought a standard bike and used the extra 15k to customize it the way you want. You knew the answer before you posted, contact your local paint shop. Thought I’d try to help someone like myself that don’t get replies to their questions, and it bit me in the @ss.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:10 PM
prestaino
Cruiser

WELL, there is always 2 sides... Went to the dealer and had them make the Tour pack removable that led to some moving around of parts and a hole where some brackets were .. Long story short I don't like it . I also want to put filler skirts #59739 between fender and bags , not really outlandish customizing. So I want to get a 2009 up Road glide custom fender# 60575 (anyone have one for sale) Or an aftermarket primed and paint it to match bike... I really don't care if Harley would sell me those parts painted( They won't) so rather than writing a novel really want to know if anyone out there has the color formula or direct me to a forum member or business that can help . Or is my only resort a body guy with a color computer that will read it get it close then futz around till close as possible??

Thanks

Old 01-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 253 Likes on 161 Posts

Can't help you with where to get it, but if you do find a place, let us know. I love that color and wouldn't mind painting my bike that color. It's an awesome red!
Jerry

Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 PM
ed parolini
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 AM
prestaino
Cruiser

Will try to find out info and post