Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wood TW-555 vs SE255 Cam Dyno Comparison by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:44 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Here is a run comparison from the cam test which was performed at 30% throttle from approx 2250-5000 RPM with both the SE255 (blue run) and the TW-555 cams (red run)
While the peak HP is similar, the Woods cams make 16% more Tq overall in this part throttle roll on test. Note the TPS channel on this chart which shows 1% variance in throttle blade for this test
**chart reposted as 300 RPM's were clipped off the original one posted**

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Last edited by fuelmoto; 01-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Like the 30% chart. Shows the difference where you ride. Even though alot of wot numbers can be close, at 30% the difference will show.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Here is a run comparison from the cam test which was performed at 30% throttle from approx 2250-5000 RPM with both the SE255 (blue run) and the TW-555 cams (red run)
While the peak HP is similar, the Woods cams make 26% more Tq overall in this part throttle roll on test. Note the TPS channel on this chart which shows 1% variance in throttle blade for this test

Ok, I got a question. I'm not trying to be a horses behind here but I'm confused by what I'm look at on this chart. The lines do not appear to reflect what the text numbers in the upper right corner are saying.

The HP numbers are closest but the text numbers say the red line (555's) reach 40 hp but neither HP line makes it up to 40 on the chart. The torque line is even farther off from what I'm looking at. The max torque for the red line is shown to be 71.58 in the text line but the charted line barely makes it to 65. Is this some kind of glitch in the software?

I'm not trying to flame or start something here, just trying to understand what I'm looking at. All the other charts Jamie has posted seem to be right in line with both forms of data. This is the first time I've noticed anything like this. The thread had been great and very informative once you get past the first four pages of "I'm subscribing" posts!

Thanks for any clarification.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

PS: I "really" like the partial throttle dyno chart. It's the first time I've seen that too and I have to agree with Lonewolf, it's great knowing what's going on in the mode most of us ride in 90% of the time! Kudos to Jamie and FuelMoto!

Last edited by Intrepid175; 01-12-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:39 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
Ok, I got a question. I'm not trying to be a horses behind here but I'm confused by what I'm look at on this chart. The lines do not appear to reflect what the text numbers in the upper right corner are saying.

The HP numbers are closest but the text numbers say the red line (555's) reach 40 hp but neither HP line makes it up to 40 on the chart. The torque line is even farther off from what I'm looking at. The max torque for the red line is shown to be 71.58 in the text line but the charted line barely makes it to 65. Is this some kind of glitch in the software?

I'm not trying to flame or start something here, just trying to understand what I'm looking at. All the other charts Jamie has posted seem to be right in line with both forms of data. This is the first time I've noticed anything like this. The thread had been great and very informative once you get past the first four pages of "I'm subscribing" posts!

Thanks for any clarification.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

PS: I "really" like the partial throttle dyno chart. It's the first time I've seen that too and I have to agree with Lonewolf, it's great knowing what's going on in the mode most of us ride in 90% of the time! Kudos to Jamie and FuelMoto!

You were correct, when I exported the graph from Winpip for some reason it clipped off the first 300 or so RPM's of the one run. I just exported it again, updated the host image, and it is now correct. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Also, because on this chart the run with the TW-555's starts several hundred RPM's earlier, the increase over the SE cams is 16% not the 26% I noted earlier.

Last edited by fuelmoto; 01-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
big ears
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks FuelMoto. Great info and work you share with us.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member

Originally Posted by CigarCritic
Three pages of "Subscribed" and "I'm in"...

You don't have to post to subscribe.

I know....those darn posting w*ores....

I'm w*oring again.... I'm in. This is just the test I wanted to see
Thanks Jamie.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
You were correct, when I exported the graph from Winpip for some reason it clipped off the first 300 or so RPM's of the one run. I just exported it again, updated the host image, and it is now correct. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Also, because on this chart the run with the TW-555's starts several hundred RPM's earlier, the increase over the SE cams is 16% not the 26% I noted earlier.
That's more like it, thanks Jamie. I have to say, I didn't expect the higher number to come so much lower in the rpm range. I think it's an impressive improvement either way. If and when I decide to take the plunge on this, I think my mind is made of as to which way I'm going to go.

Thanks again Jamie, this has been a big help!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:31 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

As requested here is a sequence of runs from this 2010 Street Glide:
Run 078* (dark blue) Stock headpipe, Jackpot muffers, Stage 1 air cleaner, PC-V
Run 021 (green) SE 255 cams, Jackpot headpipe, Jackpot mufflers, Stage 1 air cleaner, Dynojet Power Vision
Run 006 (red) Wood TW-555 cams, Jackpot headpipe, Jackpot mufflers, Stage 1 air cleaner, Dynojet Power Vision
Run 048* (dk blue) Fuel Moto 107 kit, Wood TW-555 cams, Jackpot headpipe, Jackpot mufflers, Stage 1 air cleaner, Dynojet Power Vision
*these runs are for representation only and were not done on the same day

Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a great thread. As usual, nothing but the best from Fuel Moto. BTW, I came home to find my 107 kit delivered by the brown truck. I'm looking forward to getting everything back together.

Subscribed...Just kidding! Just seeing if anyone is paying attention!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 PM
indigofarm
Tourer

Jamie.

I would be curious to hear your thought process for interpreting torque curves

What you look for etc.

Thanks

Originally Posted by indigofarm
Thanks Jamie

Jamie.

I would be curious to hear your thought process for interpreting torque curves

What you look for etc.

Thanks

I am having 255's installed this week on a 103 road glide
Anything I should consider?

Ok the real question. I have a background in sports medicine, I have done lots of dynamometer testing on humans. I know what I am looking for when comparing quadriceps and hamstrings but I am new to motor dynos

Here is a few things I am assuming one would ask

What do ya all look for?

The rise of the torque curve?
The peak of the torque curve?
How long the max (relative) torque can be maintained at it's peak through the rpm?

The rise of the hp curve

Do you look at the point of max hp?
What is the usefulness of the intersection of hp and torque? What info does it provide you?

In humans. I look at peak torque and average tq through a range and how much it changes relative to the other limb. So a comparison of 1 cam like this to another makes intuitive sense to me. Where I don't have a good understanding is what one looks for in a dyne with hp and tq for 1 bike/cam

Bottom line......I am not sure what I am looking for as a reference

Looking forward to ya all's expertise.

Quick Reply: Wood TW-555 vs SE255 Cam Dyno Comparison by Fuel Moto