Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wood TW-555 vs SE255 Cam Dyno Comparison by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
yea iam kinda leary now with that being said. but keith did say not to worry i would be fine with the stock lifters. now iam not sure what iam gonna do maybe wait and buy new lifters. **** i hate this u buy one thing thinking your done and then something else comes about. confused.
I changed my cams at 15000 miles and had no issues. These are roller tiped lifters. Its not a old style tappet with a flat contact surface. Be aware these guys are trying to make money buy selling new lifters.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:31 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Jamie.
Was I reading correctly? You said the TW555's were quiet?
Unusual for a Woods cam. I'm thinking of putting these in my 103. I'm assuming you used adjustable push rods since you did the cams the same day.
Thanks for the comparison.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 AM
marty442
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on this comparison, I'm feeling pretty good about ordering a set of the tw-555s. Anyone have an estimate for what that curve might look like on a 103 build. I'm having the build done next week, flat top cast pistons, Fatcat 2 into 1, no headwork right now. Also wondering if anyone has a good starting calibration to use with my TTS Tuner. I'm thinking the PS176-002 would be a good start.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Energy-Dude
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look on the fuel moto site in the cams section. They have put a tw 6-6 which is lower lift version of the 555. The curve should be identical but ever so slightly lower numbers.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 AM
kbktulsa
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you need the comp release with the SE 255 cams. I have a set of the cams and am getting ready to install them in my U/C. All stock 96 inch motor except for stage 1, and am adding PCV, have VH true duals, rush 2 inch slip ons. Do not want to go to the expense of having comp release installed at this point. Do plan on 107 build next winter and will install them at that time. Just want a little more grunt for now.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Blue chart is SE255 cams
Red chart is Wood TW-555 cams

Great work Jamie!!! As usual....

Here's my last dyno run with the SE255's: (103" w/ported heads, 2009 stock header, Rush S/O.)
I'd gladly let you "experiment" with my bike, using the TW555's! And you could just leave those 555's in the bike!

Just a thought...

Attached Thumbnails Wood TW-555 vs SE255 Cam Dyno Comparison by Fuel Moto-dyno-iii-st.-croix-h-d-.jpg  
Old 01-12-2011, 09:45 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHOG
Jamie.
Was I reading correctly? You said the TW555's were quiet?
Unusual for a Woods cam. I'm thinking of putting these in my 103. I'm assuming you used adjustable push rods since you did the cams the same day.
Thanks for the comparison.
The Wood's cams are very quiet, not unusual at all. In fact many times they are quieter than stock, especially when used with the Woods Directional directional lifters. I'm not sure where the "noisy" Wood's cam info being passed around forums started from, but I have a pretty good idea. We have installed many, many of these cams and the most important consideration is pushrod adjustment, if you do not have enough preload on the lifter you may see excessive noise. I highly recommend adjustable pushrods as the base circle is slighly different than the stock cams, if the lifter preload is not correct this could lead to noise. Some have noted overly aggressive ramps, and while Wood's does make some pretty agressive cams with up to .650 lift the TW-555's have very conservative ramps and overall specs. They are actually less aggressive than ramps on the stock cams. The photo below compares the stock and Wood TW-555 cams

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by sporacer
I changed my cams at 15000 miles and had no issues. These are roller tiped lifters. Its not a old style tappet with a flat contact surface. Be aware these guys are trying to make money buy selling new lifters.
The stock lifters work well, we generally recommend replacing them if you have more than 15,000 miles. By comparison, the Wood's Directional are not only more durable than the stock lifters, they fit the lifter bore more precisely, they have a much better bleed rate, and they have a floating axle for the roller unlike the stock pressed pin which can get a flat spot over time. We have seen noticably quieter valvetrain in several applications with the Wood's lifters as well.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:58 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by marty442
Based on this comparison, I'm feeling pretty good about ordering a set of the tw-555s. Anyone have an estimate for what that curve might look like on a 103 build. I'm having the build done next week, flat top cast pistons, Fatcat 2 into 1, no headwork right now. Also wondering if anyone has a good starting calibration to use with my TTS Tuner. I'm thinking the PS176-002 would be a good start.
We will know next week as we are installing the TW-555's in a 103". We will post the chart in the TW-555 thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Robert_W
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We will know next week as we are installing the TW-555's in a 103". We will post the chart in the TW-555 thread
Thanks for the great cam shoot out.

Do you have the link to the TW-555 thread?

Thanks again and ride safe,

Bob.

Quick Reply: Wood TW-555 vs SE255 Cam Dyno Comparison by Fuel Moto