Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wood TW-555 vs SE255 Cam Dyno Comparison by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
i do have a service manuel but it is from my 2009 streetglide it should be the same right.
I would think so.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Garcou
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, i might be inclinded to let you use my bearing Beatty tool pm me and well discuss it. also don't worry about using that cam locking tool, just have a buddy hold the rear break pedal down, works like a charm and does not cost anything.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Garcou
Club Member

Oops didn't read the last few posts, man your quick with the credit card! Looks like you got all the tools you need now! The cam bolts are not on that tight, I think your footboard is torqued tighter, make sure your using blue lockright in everything and get your self a torque wrench, if you don't have one check out the pawn shops you can usually find a nice snap on or Mac for 80 bucks

Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Garcou
Oops didn't read the last few posts, man your quick with the credit card! Looks like you got all the tools you need now! The cam bolts are not on that tight, I think your footboard is torqued tighter, make sure your using blue lockright in everything and get your self a torque wrench, if you don't have one check out the pawn shops you can usually find a nice snap on or Mac for 80 bucks
garcou) i have a torque wrench yea i already bought all the tools thank for the offer very much appreciated. but even if i use them one or two times i have em here so if anyone needs them i will offer it to them as u did me. sinse i have been on this forum all i meet is great people like u and james willing to help someone or give advice. i wish it was like that in the real world. i wanna take the time to thank u and james and everyone who has helped me here. now i feel pretty confident doing this. i never would have attempted this if not been for this forum. thank u all very much and i will let everyone here about the install and the performance when iam done. no dynos just going to do the job remap and ride.
Rick

Old 01-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Garcou
Club Member

You'll be smiling like a school girl Rick the first time ya take it out, I suggest some black label society "Stillborn" or some Five Finger Death punch "War is the answer" or "Burn it down" for your maiden voyage tunes!

Old 01-12-2011, 04:03 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
garcou) i have a torque wrench yea i already bought all the tools thank for the offer very much appreciated. but even if i use them one or two times i have em here so if anyone needs them i will offer it to them as u did me. Rick
Rick, you need both inch/lbs and ft/lbs torque wrenches. If you were a little closer, I'd have been more than happy to give you a hand. This is one job that anyone with a little mechanical aptitude can easily handle. I'm a cheap S.O.B. at heart, and anytime I can save a couple of bucks, or help a friend do the same, I'm all over it. Plus, these motors are very pleasant to work on, most everything is easily accessible. What could be more enjoyable that that, unless it's actually riding?

I installed a new set of lifters in my bike when I swapped cams last winter, but that was only because a set fell into my lap for next to nothing. The set I pulled out looks like new with 30K miles on them, so I'll just keep them for future use. The roller lifters don't develop wear patterns like flat tapped lifters, so they don't need to be replaced when you do a cam swap.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:12 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Got the cams swapped and the bike back up on the dyno and gave it a thorough tune. Like the TW-555's, the valvetrain with the SE255's is nice and quiet and the exhaust note is very similar. The SE255's actually performed pretty well overall and ended up about where I expected. While these charts show the differences pretty clearly, I was figuring the SE cams would make a bit better power in the lower RPM's as by 2600 RPM's the Wood's cams have the advantage and make over 10 more peak HP, but on the other hand I also though the SE cams would fall earlier than they did, overall the SE cams did OK in my book. Both cams work very well, it all depends where you want your power and how much of it you are looking for. There is no doubt Bobby Wood did his homework with the TW-555.
Jamie, thanks again for all you do for the forum, it's greatly appreciated.
This was an interesting comparison, and I'm sure more than a few folks were surprised by the results.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Rick, you need both inch/lbs and ft/lbs torque wrenches. If you were a little closer, I'd have been more than happy to give you a hand. This is one job that anyone with a little mechanical aptitude can easily handle. I'm a cheap S.O.B. at heart, and anytime I can save a couple of bucks, or help a friend do the same, I'm all over it. Plus, these motors are very pleasant to work on, most everything is easily accessible. What could be more enjoyable that that, unless it's actually riding?

I installed a new set of lifters in my bike when I swapped cams last winter, but that was only because a set fell into my lap for next to nothing. The set I pulled out looks like new with 30K miles on them, so I'll just keep them for future use. The roller lifters don't develop wear patterns like flat tapped lifters, so they don't need to be replaced when you do a cam swap.
Hey Boog, I guess 2k miles is a little far to lend a hand Ha.. Anyways, the bike goes in today for the build and I'm wondering about lifters. I have a new set of 99b's to install but the bike only has 6k miles on it. I 'spose I can have shop check out the lifters when a part but it'd be nice to apply the lifter $ to the build...

Old 01-12-2011, 05:42 AM
bikehe
Tourer

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question, but are these dyno runs done without consideration to fuel economy, and what A/F ratios are being achieved here. Are the A/F SET TO give max numbers without thought towards economy. Thanks Jamie for the work you do here on this forum.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:55 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Who is LP?
Some guy with a spare set of 255's.

lp

Quick Reply: Wood TW-555 vs SE255 Cam Dyno Comparison by Fuel Moto