Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Softail to Touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 PM
harlanrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default From Softail to Touring

Have a few questions for you touring guys and would appreciate your feedback.

Currently have a 09 Softail Deluxe. Thinking about a Road King or Street Glide. Im 5'9" and about 175 lbs and my wife is about 140 ( give or take a few lol).

My main questions are:

1) Most of my time is spent riding solo. For those that ride their Touring bikes that way could you really tell much of a difference.

2) If I have never ridden a touring bike before would I really be able to tell the difference between an 08 and a 09 with the frame change. I do want ABS and a 6 speed.

3) Does the 103 make that much of a difference? My Deluxe runs pretty strong with both of us on it.

4) Any other advantages that you guys can think of that have ridden both would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails From Softail to Touring-new-air-cleaner-cover.jpg  
Old 01-10-2011, 07:45 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from an ultra to a deuce, to a road glide...
Just didn't like not having bags..
Unlike yours, you can't really adapt hard bags....
http://www.chillybikinis.com/
The deluxe Is very customizable....
But I liked the ride of the touring better that the softails

Old 01-10-2011, 07:47 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlowride
I went from an ultra to a deuce, to a road glide...
Just didn't like not having bags..
Unlike yours, you can't really adapt hard bags....
http://www.chillybikinis.com/
The deluxe Is very customizable....
But I liked the ride of the touring
better that the softails
Not sure how that link got there....

Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 PM
tarheelbagger1964
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have a nice bike already, love the deluxe. I went from heritage classic to rkc to street glide. I love the touring class for cruise control, vibration at idol, dual exhaust, radio, gauges in front, cadillac style cruise on highway. I ride solo-wife won't ride with me til kids through school. The street glide bars and seat height are the closest setup to your deluxe also. The rkc has bars for 6'3', longs arms and higher center of gravity. Rent them all for best idea of whats best for you.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
zdivemaster
2nd Gear

I went from an 03' Road King to the 11' Street Glide with the 103". I absolutely love it. I drove it to Daytona the second day I had it. Even though I babied it for the first 500 miles I could tell a difference. The ABS saved my life literally twice there, idiot drivers! On the return home, the pick up was there when needed and the highway miles were transformed into a relaxing time I'll never forget. I at first was thinking of new pipes, fuel management, Stage I. Not anymore, I'm in love with this ride each and every time I straddle her. By the way I'm 6', 210 lbs, wife is 98 lbs, 5', no decline in ride performance what I can tell.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:21 PM
PirateRider
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Great minds think alike.

I traded my 09 Deluxe for a 11 Limited about a month ago. Loved the Deluxe , put 19K on her. Here are my thoughts.

(1) Mine is a daily driver to/from work everyday. Above 3 mph it hadles better than the deluxe and you forget the weight differences.

(2) No idea about different frames - this is my first harley bagger. I would get the new one based on what i have read and researched. The ABS is amazing - some say otherwise, but I personally feel that anyone short of a professional rider cannot brake better than the computer comtrolled ABS.

(3) This is the biggest area for my input. I too thought my 96ci Deluxe with pipes and A/C ran strong. Holy cow!! The 103 opened up with new head pipes, Reinhart muff, and SERT was MUCH more than I expected. There is no way my Deluxe can keep up with this thing.

I also beleive the Limited out handles the Deluxe across the board.

(4) The storage, radio, and true cruise control are incredible. I will also have to say that the heated grips more than surpassed my expectations as well.

Go ride them all and decide.

BTW I am 5'7", with the bike lowered and a reach seat on it. My wife loves it as well and you can't even tell she is back there based on the Deluxe.

Pics of both in my profile.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Wizid
Cruiser

I really like the looks of the deluxe, and the low seat height is really comfortable. A touring model is going to give a smoother ride, but the seat height is going to be taller. The Street glide has the lowest ride height of all the FLH's, and has sportier feel and handling. The RK, EG, and RG give the most comfortable ride, especially for 2 up riding. I like my RK because it is so versitile. I can tour 500 miles to a rally with the windshield, lowers, and travel trunk, then take them all off when I get there. I like to ride the bike stripped down when riding around town. The 6 speed is nice for highway cruzin at 80+ mph. The newer frame is stiffer and the new wheel sizes contribute to better handling. The ABS stops the bike better. As far as the 103, bigger is always better. I would demo them all before you make a move. I fly and ride often and usually rent the Street Glide, so far '09, '10, and recently '11. As nice as they all are, I still would not part with my old FLH Police.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:49 PM
big6x6
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man...
I wouldn't get rid of my Softail Deluxe if I were you. You'll never get another one for what you got that one for. Your size is a perfect fit for a FLSTN! I traded mine on my Street Glide..which I like too. But ain't nothing like a Softail Deluxe so I found another new black 2009 FLSTN and had to buy it. Can't tell you what I lost doing all that...

Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 PM
jwr50
Novice

I'm 5'7" and I went from a 2008 Deluxe to a 2011 Ultra Limited (with the Reach seat). I loved the Deluxe, but the Limited has a better ride and is more stable (at speed). The accessories that the Limited has -- the fairing, the radio, heated handgrips, etc. -- make a real difference too.

They are simply different classes of bikes, and you can definitely feel the difference in the ride. As much as I liked the Deluxe, I don't miss it now that I have the Limited.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 PM
clembo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand. I have a 2010 Deluxe and got a 2011 RKC two months ago, plan to keep both.

The power difference with the 103 was more than I expected, great low end tourque. RK is a bit taller and wider, only an issue when stopped, very easy to ride at speed, much better over bad roads.

My wife does not like riding on the Deluxe, but loves the RK, standard seats on both, she is very small.

If you have kids, sell one and use the proceeds to buy the second bike.

Quick Reply: From Softail to Touring