Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo 665 and Mac itunes

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:51 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Garmin Zumo 665 and Mac itunes

Well I got a new MacBook Profor Christmas and was a PC user. I was using Media Monkey for handling all of my playlist and music going into my Garmin.

I am pretty much lost at this point getting itunes and the Garmin to do anything and from what I understand it won't do much other than drag files into the Garmin. I have been on the Zumo forums but they are talking about writing script into itunes and ...... uhhh....... hmmm...... I don't know what the hell they are talking about!!!!!!

Who here has knowledge on the Mac world and Garmin that may be able to get me back to syncing with the comfort I had before?

As alway any and all help is appreciated.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:53 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

All I do, is create my play list & then output them as MP3's. Then drag and drop them into the memory card. Might be a better way, but that works for me.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:11 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by greg09997
All I do, is create my play list & then output them as MP3's. Then drag and drop them into the memory card. Might be a better way, but that works for me.
Yes I see how I can drag and drop them into the memory card. I want to be able to build playlists and then edit them rather then edit them in the cumbersome Garmin. Thanks for the input!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:52 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store. Unlike PC, you can get one on one help with any other their products. Just make an appointment and take in your Garmin and MacBook Pro. I love Apple's customer service.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl
Go visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store. Unlike PC, you can get one on one help with any other their products. Just make an appointment and take in your Garmin and MacBook Pro. I love Apple's customer service.
HarleyGirl,
Thanks for the help. I have been going to the one on one and have a itunes appointment scheduled but from what I have heard from my classes so far is that if it is not a Apple supported device they won't be much help. Apple support is great though I do like it so far too. But I will try who knows one of those college kids just may tighten me up!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey sickbagger,

I don't have a Zumo, but it seems there are two issues here.
First, if you are using iTunes, it doesn't store songs in MP3 format by default, while the Zumo is an MP3 player.
Second, you would need to provide the Zumo with a playlist file it can read - probably with an .m3u extension.

Without some scripting (read: a manual process), you would first have to convert your songs to MP3 format and get them into your Zumo.
Then, you can export a playlist and do some editing before copying the file to your Zumo.
The editing would involve using the Replace functionality of a text editor, converting the file to a table (to easily remove columns of data) and saving it back as a text file... but with a .m3u extension.

Not pretty, but I think it would work. Problem is, I don't have a Zumo to test with. If you'd like to test it, PM me and provide me with an exported playlist (text file) and I'll edit it and send it back as an m3u file.

You would think someone on a Zumo forum would have already created a utility to perform this task.

Here's a link where someone has created a VBScript to do it: http://www.rattlebars.com/acc-mp3/

Last edited by pargenz; 01-10-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by pargenz
Hey sickbagger,

I don't have a Zumo, but it seems there are two issues here.
First, if you are using iTunes, it doesn't store songs in MP3 format by default, while the Zumo is an MP3 player.
Second, you would need to provide the Zumo with a playlist file it can read - probably with an .m3u extension.

Without some scripting (read: a manual process), you would first have to convert your songs to MP3 format and get them into your Zumo.
Then, you can export a playlist and do some editing before copying the file to your Zumo.
The editing would involve using the Replace functionality of a text editor, converting the file to a table (to easily remove columns of data) and saving it back as a text file... but with a .m3u extension.

Not pretty, but I think it would work. Problem is, I don't have a Zumo to test with. If you'd like to test it, PM me and provide me with an exported playlist (text file) and I'll edit it and send it back as an m3u file.

You would think someone on a Zumo forum would have already created a utility to perform this task.

Here's a link where someone has created a VBScript to do it: http://www.rattlebars.com/acc-mp3/
pargenz,
Hey thanks for the help. I would still need to figure out this text file you need but I will try to figure that out. There is a guy on the Zumo forum that has created this utility you are talking about I just don't know how to use it here is the link http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=12852.0

Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 AM
easycruzer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=pargenz;7760831]Hey sickbagger,

"I don't have a Zumo, but it seems there are two issues here.
First, if you are using iTunes, it doesn't store songs in MP3 format by default, while the Zumo is an MP3 player."

If you go to Itunes, than preferences, than general tab, than to the "import settings button", you can set it to default to MP3.
I leave mine set at AAC- the most bang for your buck with still having the best sound, but a lot guys do use the MP3 setting and are happy with it.

Dave

Old 01-10-2011, 12:47 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

[quote=easycruzer;7762343]
Originally Posted by pargenz
Hey sickbagger,

"I don't have a Zumo, but it seems there are two issues here.
First, if you are using iTunes, it doesn't store songs in MP3 format by default, while the Zumo is an MP3 player."

If you go to Itunes, than preferences, than general tab, than to the "import settings button", you can set it to default to MP3.
I leave mine set at AAC- the most bang for your buck with still having the best sound, but a lot guys do use the MP3 setting and are happy with it.

Dave
Yep, I understand how to do that. I was just posting that iTunes isn't configured that way by default.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SICKBAGGER
pargenz,
Hey thanks for the help. I would still need to figure out this text file you need but I will try to figure that out. There is a guy on the Zumo forum that has created this utility you are talking about I just don't know how to use it here is the link http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=12852.0
To create the playlist file:
Launch iTunes
Right-click on a playlist
Select Export
Save As: "playlist_name".m3u
Where: anywhere where you can find it
Format: M3U
Click the Save button

That's the file I referred to that would need to be edited. As it stands, it contains references to where those songs in that playlist are located on your Mac's hard drive. Just copying it as-is to your Zumo would confuse the Garmin device as the paths are incorrect... not to mention that there is data the Zumo doesn't need.

I'll have a look at the link.

Quick Reply: Garmin Zumo 665 and Mac itunes