Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo 665 and Mac itunes

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SICKBAGGER
pargenz,
Hey thanks for the help. I would still need to figure out this text file you need but I will try to figure that out. There is a guy on the Zumo forum that has created this utility you are talking about I just don't know how to use it here is the link http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=12852.0
That script appears to work as advertised. Waaaayy better than manually editing the playlist.

I did have to create a "Scripts" folder at /Library/iTunes
In that folder I copied both scripts: Copy Playlist to Zumo.scpt and Embed Artwork.

There are instructions inside the file (How to Install.rtf).

After copying the scripts, launch iTunes and you'll see an icon between the Window and Help menus. Click it and your choices are Copy Playlist to Zumo and Embed Artwork.

Your Zumo's SD card has to have an MP3 folder at the root level. This is where you have copied your songs to.

Sounds straightforward...

UPDATE:

It would appear to do just what you're looking for SB...
I wasn't able to fully test it, since I don't have a Zumo yet. But, I took a SD card, created an MP3 folder at root level, put the card in my Mac's card reader, launched iTunes, selected the Copy Playlist to Zumo menu option, and it copied the playlist to the card. It created a sub-folder in the MP3 folder with the name of the playlist, and it contains the songs and the playlist. I launched an MP3 player (not iTunes) and it was able to play the songs.

Last edited by pargenz; 01-10-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:49 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First mistake was you got a Mac. Can you tell I'm a PC? lol Can't you run Windows on them things? that might solve your problems

Old 01-10-2011, 02:55 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rstekeur
First mistake was you got a Mac. Can you tell I'm a PC? lol Can't you run Windows on them things? that might solve your problems
Ain't Windows for kids?

The Redmond gang has finally acknowledged that folks should be able to use more than 2 GB of RAM. In the graphics industry this has always been a problem with using PCs. Not to mention the lack of any support for color management or even color-aware applications.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's an even easier solution for you. MAC Computer software has "BootCamp" included and installed with their operating system on your Hard Drive. You will need a copy of Windows XP with SP2 or a later version of Windows. Snow Leopard in your case is already installed on your computer. Some things are just easier to do with Windows. Using BootCamp you install your version of windows and end up with both Operating Systems on your computer. You can now get the performance of a MAC and use all your windows program. You boot into either operating systems. If you really want to get fancy you can use a program called "VM Fusion" which let's you run Leopard and Windows at the same time in virtual memory. All the information you need is in the "help" for MAC - "search word" Bootcamp. Not complicated once you install Windows.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nute
Here's an even easier solution for you. MAC Computer software has "BootCamp" included and installed with their operating system on your Hard Drive. You will need a copy of Windows XP with SP2 or a later version of Windows. Snow Leopard in your case is already installed on your computer. Some things are just easier to do with Windows. Using BootCamp you install your version of windows and end up with both Operating Systems on your computer. You can now get the performance of a MAC and use all your windows program. You boot into either operating systems. If you really want to get fancy you can use a program called "VM Fusion" which let's you run Leopard and Windows at the same time in virtual memory. All the information you need is in the "help" for MAC - "search word" Bootcamp. Not complicated once you install Windows.
Dual-booting another OS is an easy solution to exporting playlists from iTunes?
Would be smoother to use a virtual machine and be able to access both operating systems simultaneously. I use Sun's VirtualBox on a Dell laptop that runs Snow Leopard natively and XP in the virtual machine.

Even easier yet, there's an AppleScript utility that exports MP3s from iTunes for use on the Zumo. Easier solution than using another OS... and it works from within the iTunes app as a menu item. And certainly easier than the manual solution I suggested earlier in the thread.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Nute
Here's an even easier solution for you. MAC Computer software has "BootCamp" included and installed with their operating system on your Hard Drive. You will need a copy of Windows XP with SP2 or a later version of Windows. Snow Leopard in your case is already installed on your computer. Some things are just easier to do with Windows.

Just because you don't know the "Mac" way doesn't mean it's easier to do it with Windows.

Originally Posted by pargenz
Dual-booting another OS is an easy solution to exporting playlists from iTunes?
Would be smoother to use a virtual machine and be able to access both operating systems simultaneously. I use Sun's VirtualBox on a Dell laptop that runs Snow Leopard natively and XP in the virtual machine.

Even easier yet, there's an AppleScript utility that exports MP3s from iTunes for use on the Zumo. Easier solution than using another OS... and it works from within the iTunes app as a menu item. And certainly easier than the manual solution I suggested earlier in the thread.
Glad to see there are other Mac users on the HD forum.
I work in IT, and support both platforms. I rarely use my Windows box.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RollaMo

Just because you don't know the "Mac" way doesn't mean it's easier to do it with Windows.

Glad to see there are other Mac users on the HD forum.
I work in IT, and support both platforms. I rarely use my Windows box.
I use Windows, Unix and Mac at work. Most of my clients use Macs. I support solutions using all manner of Windows, Solaris, some Linux and Mac... I just prefer using OS X. Bummed that my tuner software only runs in Windows.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:18 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help men I am going with Parallels it will let me run both OS at the same time I tried the script in itunes withe pagenz help but it does not seem to work seamlessly with my garmin. I will need Parallels with my Dynojet software program also so far I have downloaded the trial version of Parallel and after 5 installs of windows xp finally got a clean install all the way through. I have down loaded the PCV software so I am making progress. I go Monday to Apple for a class on itunes and Parallels so hopefully things will be good here shortly.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
giobott
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zumo 665 will only do MP3 files

I found that the ZUMO 665 will only accept MP3 files nothing else

Old 03-03-2011, 01:54 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I run Macs and have a Zumo 665. I don't know what they mean by scripts either on the Zumo forum, because I have absolutely no trouble dragging and dropping (mp3) files to both the Garmin internal memory and the MicroSD Card I use in the Garmin.

FWIW, I dragged a bunch of music into my Garmin one day and took off...was into the ride before I realized it was repeating the same 10 or so songs (I'd downloaded much more than that). I could see all of them on the Garmin...but could only hear a few of them. When I got back home and started trouble-shooting, only then did I find out about Garmin only playing mp3's. After that, I started buying most of my music from Amazon.com (mp3 format). If you buy from iTunes...no go, unless you want to go through a bunch of shenanigans to change them to mp3 (I gave up that quest).

Even though I'm reasonably tech-saavy (I fumble around and usually figure things out through trial and error), there is a REAL good chance I'm not quite understanding exactly what you're having trouble with since I'm able to drag and drop easily with my Mac Pro.

I pretty much use my iPod or satellite radio when I am running with my detachable fairing. Not sure how you're hearing your music, but you may be better off hooking up an iPod or some other mp3 player to your radio/speakers. More flexibility that way IMO...

Last edited by monstead; 03-03-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Garmin Zumo 665 and Mac itunes