Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you want more inches Stroke It

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 340 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
here is what I did and this was just that. what I did and I have to ride it and stroke the money as it left my bank account.

got the bb 103 kit from harley and ditched the 255 cam and head gasket. put the mcr performance heads on with cometics head gasket.tossed the stock exhaust and replaced it with the black bubs ones with no cross over(these one's where hard to find and cost more).

upgraded my old sert to tts and bingo, bike doesnt just sound good,its beyond that.

parts aproached 2000,use ebay and online dealers,ebay were just fronts for dealers btw

bubs 850

do your research and do it yourself,its stupid easy just need to be **** and patient.I would have sent stock heads out but was concerned about budget gettin carried away and mcr have a lot done to them already,went with the cast pistons in the kit,this was a fly under the raidar build with emthasis on really good sound..and some power/reliability.

every one is going to look out for there interests as stated so you have to take advice but make educated choices. good luck

I'd like to do my upgrade myself, but i don't really have the tools, location or confidence to do it myself. My TTS was professionally dyno'ed. So I've delayed buying a pipe and putting it on. I'll require re-tuning.

I also run a mac, so TTS has yet to work. I'm running Parallels, but maybe bootcamp?? [Mac Geek speak - sorry]

Regardless I'm Stock + Stage 1 and Andrews 26H cams.

100 ft lb, 89 HP.

Not really enough torque for me, but more than enough HP. To clarify: She goes plenty fast enough top speed, jut want hill climbing, roll on power with more spirited acceleration...

When I do, i'm tossing around 107" or 117". Heads done, and the bottom end too. Probably all the Dark Horse Treatments. Hopefully bulletproof.

Anymore and I've gotta go Procharger...

H

Old 01-10-2011, 07:49 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

All I can suggest to you is hang on the hunt for more performance can be addicting.Going just a few cubes at a time can be very costly in the hunt for the right power level.Ask me how I know!Good Luck

Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by FLHXHS
100 ft lb, 89 HP.

Not really enough torque for me, but more than enough HP. To clarify: She goes plenty fast enough top speed, jut want hill climbing, roll on power with more spirited acceleration...

When I do, i'm tossing around 107" or 117". Heads done, and the bottom end too. Probably all the Dark Horse Treatments. Hopefully bulletproof.

Anymore and I've gotta go Procharger...

H
There are lots of options! You can improve your bike's hill climbing by reducing overall gearing. There are plenty of posts about this, but a smaller front pulley will give a significant increase in rear wheel torque, with everything else as is. Reasonably quick and easy.

That is worth doing, even if you further modify your current motor. For a 107 or 117 you really should try a good tuning shop. There are HDF sponsors with the right skills.

Or you could replace your current motor, with a Harley 120R, or a JIMS 131, as suggestions. The 120R is getting good reviews here in Touring and giving decent figures.

The procharger gives good numbers, but not low-down torque in the same way a well tuned big motor can, unless you start with something like a 131ci.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
You'd do well to learn more about what you have, and how engine mods are done. If you jump into something before you understand what options you have, and what they will accomplish, you might be spending a lot of money redoing your motor again when you understand more. There are a lot of hungry shops out there that will gladly relieve you of your hard earned dough.
Sound advice right here.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Pittsburghglide2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok great advise so far. I agree have to find the right needs and wants and find someone that wont screw me over ......I have someone that works on my bike, he is an old school mechanic that is still up to date. He is very good at what he does. I know he wouldnt screw me being that when I have a big job I am undertaking he is more then willing to guide me through problems.....so I think I would have him do the work .....any opinions on that .....

As for what I am leaning to is something like I found on this web site ....has anyone done this to there glide .....interested in hearing about it .......

http://fuelmotousa.com/107kit.htm

Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want more inches Stroke It

I tell the wife that all the time.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Malcomx
Advanced

Interesting read.
Is there some reason you gentlemen don't recommend a blower? It seems like a pretty simple way of getting a lot of horsepower. I don't know much about the Evo motor, but I know the Revos get pretty big horsepower out of a turbo or blower.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 PM
2004vmc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsburghglide2010
I have a stock 96 CI Street Glide. I have Bub true duals (2009) zipper conputer and K&N high flow. I would like to upgrade somewhat......

1. What sort of improvements will a Cam deliever and what cam.......

2. Or what is needed to stoke it to a 103 and what brand should I research.

Are 1 and 2 worth it or should I take it to a engine shop and have them modify it to my liking......HELP
if roll on power, and easier acceleration are all that you want, then dont get into all of the other stuff. honestly, i spent all sorts of money on heads, cams, gear drives, roller rockers, exhausts..... you name it. but, the thing that gave me the most power, with the mods that i already had done, is gear down the primary...... it is cheap, you replace the front primary sprocket, and the primary chain ( go down 3 teeth on the sprocket) if you are running a 6 speed, your fuel mileage wont suffer. and, since it is in your primary, before the trans, your speedo will not be affected either....i did this mod, on an already modded bike, and rode it from NC to OR and back, twice! WITH A 5 SPEED!!!! still got 170-180 miles to a tank, two up, with gear, tent, leather, etc..... it upped my cruising RPM by almost 400 RPM, putting it right in the sweet spot of the torque curve. it will be a bit louder at 70-80 than it is right now, but only set you back 350 bucks, including the install. it will limit your top end speed though. i was running a 5 speed, and could not get my bike over 120 MPH. i was also running 20 inch apes, and it was as aerodynamic as a brick with a parachute.... but, downshifting to pass a car? you wont need to do that again..... ever.... unl;ess you wanna do a wheelie!

this is like putting 3.73 gears in your old chevelle. sure it already made 400 HP, but now you can put it to the ground more effectively than running 3.31s.... look it up, if you like it, stay with it, if you dont like it, you didnt affect anything, so, put it back to stock, and spend a couple thousand bucks on your motor....

hope this helps,
corb

Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

don't get in a hurry, spend some time reading what you can find here in the forum. the 96" motor is like one of the first to reply, is an 88 motor with a stroker crank. boring your stock cylinders out to 103 size and fresh pistons and rings, along with gaskets would give you a 103. if i'm right, a 96" motor has 3 3/4" bore and the 103" motor has 3 7/8" bore. it's a very comfortable motor, and can be built to really pull hard depending on how deep you want to get into it. cams are a great choice too, but just for now, get to know your bike and study whatever you can so that you make educated choices. it's cheaper to do it right the first time than it is to do it right the second time.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Pittsburghglide2010
Cruiser

on the same topic does the SE CVO have the same crank case, clutch and bearings as the stock SE.....