Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for in an older RK

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:27 AM
rutlanda
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for in an older RK

I have budgeted $10K for a Road King. From what I can tell this will get me into a 96-2002 depending upon mileage and condition. I have to say I am leery of buying an older bike. So, my question is are there common problems with the older bikes? What would it cost to have a tech go through the motor and/or tranny if necessary and what are the engine modifications to consider if it comes to that point? I haven't ridden in about 4 yrs so I am not looking for a hotrod...just a reliable daily rider until I get to a point where I am ready to buy a newer bike. I will be purchasing in about 4-6 weeks (still deployed), so I am trying to make myself an educated buyer in order to make my money go as far as possible. I have seen several with high miles (40-70K) for around $6-$7K and then lower mileage bikes (18-24K) for around $7-$10K. Should I spend less on the higher mileage bike and have someone go through the motor with the remaining money or spend the whole budget and hope for the best? Thanks for the help...this is my first HD so it is tough to sit in Iraq and not be able to go look at bikes. I think I have looked at every Road King on the internet. I appreciate any advice the board can offer.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I assume you know that up to 99 is the 80" evo motor. ( the evo motor is very, very good- )
99 started the twin cam 88 and the motor and tranny are bolted together for rigidity. ( common for 88's to be bored to 95" which is a good mod. the modern 96" is longer stroke, same bore as the 88, the 103 is the bored version of the 96")
99's had a concern with cam bearings and H-D offered lifetime support for this issue.
2000 started the better brakes

carbed bikes are easier to work on ( the stock Keihin CV carb is wonderful and easy to mod and tune, the ignition system is reliable and simple), the early fuel injection system can be a mess (Magneti Marelli)

Mileage? if it's kept well then high mileage can be a plus.

for instance my 1995 EG Classic sold for $6500 with 80000 miles. all the records, almost all highway, never commuted, never sat in a shed rusting internally, and lots of added racks and fairing lowers.

Lots of very low mileage bikes around but you almost have to wonder...did it sit with old gas and oil corrupted by water and acids? I have a pal with a 2005 road king. has never changed the oil since new---- no way I would buy that one. ( i think he bought it to justify the leather wardrobe accessories he and his wifey wear everywhere)

2003 was the 100th anniversary year- DO NOT pay extra for a "100th" H-D cranked out over 400000 anniversary models, extending the model year to 15 months.

Start watching your local craigslist and cycletrader online now. get a feel for what is available and pricing. Don't be afraid to email asking for more details and photos. Gives you a feel for the deal.
hiring a tech may be a good idea, also take Pals with you so that someone can point out the downsides while you are consumed with chrome lust.
Add your city to your profile, you could find a bike here, the classifieds board is good and active ( maybe more honest) and you can post on the Wanted board.

make sure that the title and all that are good and clean, and that it is not a reconstruct, salvage or other "weird" title

Thanks and get home safe.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-09-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Buy the nicest bike you can find. Look for a something with low miles, and one that's been garage kept, and was the owners pride and joy. 02 is a very good year, and that's where I would start my search. I wouldn't go any older than 02, you can find nice 02-05 Road Kings for 10K.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:47 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the fuel injected bikes are easier to work on due to the low maintenance with the ECU setup plus its a trouble free ride for the most part.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Two years ago, I would have been looking for a carbureted bike. Having lived with the Delphi fuel injection for a couple of years now, I'm sold. The bikes run better, and performance tuning is much easier, with programs like the Power Commander.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 AM
rutlanda
Novice

Lots of good info there Mike...Thanks. I appreciate all the responses. I certainly want to get as nice and new a bike as possible. I will be searching my local Craiglist and posting a wanted ad here as soon as I get home.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

Out of those years I'd vote for

97 , 98 Carb'd 80" EVO, 5 speed RK
2002 Carb'd 88" twinkie, 5 speed RK

all the aftermarket parts and OEM parts to bolt on will work from 97 to 07.

For the EVO - change the cam bearing to a torrington B138
For the twinkie - change the cam tensioners / plate to the update OEM hydraulic setup from HD

Maintain them and run them sanely and they will last a long , long time.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:53 AM
IMFletcher
Intermediate

rutlanda,

First of all, thank you for your service. Second, I'm looking at the same bikes and price range as you are. I have found a 99 RKC with 16K miles here locally that I think I could get into for around 8,000. I also found a 2000 FLHR with under 7K miles at a dealer close by and they are asking 10,000 for it. I am wary of too few miles, but I would feel better about the bike if it was bought from a dealer. But, I'm not going to pay 10 grand for it, either.

There have been some good replies on this thread. I am sure there will be more as this is a great forum with a lot of knowledgeable posters.

IMFletcher

Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Badgerbob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums. Come home safe, and Thank-you for your patronage. My opinion is this. The EFI bikes don't need much of anything except get on and ride. The carburated bike need to be jetted. The earlier EFI ( marelli) I am on the understanding weren't quite as user freindly as the (dephi) I am not positive about the years but I believe 2002 was when the delphi came out. IMHO I would try and find one of these. Yes the cam shoes in these earlier models were giving greif, but with the proper manual, you can change most of this stuff alone.

Also as other poster had mentioned make the title is correct and not a salvage, or anything strange like this.
As for mileage there are peeps here that are getting 200k to 400k on these models .
But they have changed these shoes, already.These shoes last anywhere from 20k to 120k. Try and ask for service records as well. If they have them, or ask where it was done. This is strictly my Honest opinion only. The bling isn't worth anything for the, MOCO on a trade doesn't give you anything on a trade for this stuff.
As far as mods go depending on who did the work you shouldn't have a problem, ask for service records as long as their willing to give them.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The MM injection isn't as bad as some like to let on....I have 81k miles on my 2000 and haven't had any issues with it other than it losing it's curb idle a couple of times. It takes all of 1 minute to reset it using a #10 Torx.

Quick Reply: What to look for in an older RK