Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEALER CHARGES to Lower a Ultra ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:57 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most recommend the Progressive 940 and the new CVO shocks? Both are gas charged shocks and the 940 are a 12" SHOCK WITH 13" RANGE WHICH sounds pretty good? The CVO has an adjustment and you turn it to compensate for the added weight and they never bottom out? I also have heard that the new air shocks that are from HD( Low Profile shocks ) have a different valving and the ride is excellent ?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For $50.00 and about 20 minutes of your time you can lower the rear of your bike 1 - 3". You still use your original shocks. You may decide you don't need to lower your front once you lower the rear.

Check out this site for a lowering kit/
http://www.road6customs.com/online-s...roduct=1136465

Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Retired Navy Chief
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hales HD in Mansfield Ohio is installing all parts bought through them FREE until Jan 31st. They are doing my lowers and kit now. David

Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cme2c
Be aware that if you lower your bike by using factory lowering shocks (12") like come on the Streetglide you will have a MAJOR decrease in ride quality. That 1" decrease in shock travel means the difference between a Cadillac ride and hardtail-like ride. Couldn't take the ride on my Streetglide (I'm old) and changed over to Ultra shocks and the difference was unbelievable. I understand there are aftermarket brands of the short shocks that will give you a much better ride than the H-D ones, but they are pricey. Do a search on this forum-there's a lot of info on this subject.
So a "Street Glide" rides like a hardtail? That's pretty misleading (just plain wrong)

I've done it and do it all the time. I've ridden baggers that way for better then 10 yrs and I can promise you the ride quality isn't affected anywhere as drastic as that.

When done right it will actually improve the ride. We lowered a road glide with 11" progressive 440's in the back and shortened the front springs (w/ progressives). It lowered and evened out the center of gravity. The bike handled and road awesome. Why better then stock.

We've done a lot of electra glides (be it standard, street, ultra, classic or whatever) with lower shocks and in the end they have all handled as well as or better then stock.

Don't use blocks or brackets. That will change geometry in a negative way IMO.

The 12" HD air shocks when inflated correctly will be fine. Not as good as the Progressives but fine.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Dealer put lowering brackets on the rear of mine as part of the sale. The brackets are cheap and easy to install. Actually changing the rear shocks is an easy job. Figure parts and 1 hr labor.
The front is more involved, and more expensive. If your thinking about chrome forks, do them at the same time to save on labor charges.
I lowered the rear of mine last summer. It was not very expensive and they did it as part of the regular oil change and it was maybe an hour of labor. It made enough difference that I did not lower the front. The dealer said that lowering the front was a much more involved procedure and would be way more expensive.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:07 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a EG or UC with the Progressive 940 at 12" and a 12 " Front ? . I know that it can not be that bad of a ride if these bikes are lowered to 12" ? Most people have a BAD install or drop it down too much and thats why it is BAD But if you do a 1" drop with Good equipment it should be fine?

Last edited by legendzzz; 01-09-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Cme2c
Tourer

EddyG-so you are saying you switched to an 11" shock (took away 2" of suspension travel) and it rode BETTER than stock ???? That I gotta see. Handle better, maybe, rode better, no way.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:57 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

The 12" SG shock and the 13" Ultra shock really feel about the same to me riding solo. It's when riding two up that there is a noticeable difference.

Cadillac to Hardtail difference...No. Just slightly stiffer on larger bumps.

lp

Old 01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Cme2c
Tourer

Ok you young whippersnappers, I was referring to an original hardtail with a pogo seat (I told you I was old). :-P Anyway, seriously, that 1" difference made a BIG difference to me in the ride of my SG.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Grummpy Bear
Tourer

Lowered my 09 EG 2'' in the rear and 1'" in front and I think the ride is still as comfortable as when it was stock just figure out the proper air pressure for you, it definatly handles better than stock. Buddy and I did front and rear in about 4 hours in my garage.

Quick Reply: DEALER CHARGES to Lower a Ultra ?