Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner Fairing Paint Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 AM
vonzoog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner Fairing Paint Cost?

Well it's snowing, again, and I am getting ready for my winter project. Going to remove the inner fairing and have it painted to match the bike. I am also replacing the handlebars and the air temperature gauge, replaced it with an oil temp gauge while I have it all disassembled.

I have names of three different guys who have been recommended that have a good reputation for painting. My questions is what is a fair price for painting the inner fairing and switch plate? I will do all of the labor of removing the fairing. They would just have to paint it.

Also, was thinking of painting the stock fairing mirrors to match also. I can't remember seeing this done before. Anyone done this could please give your opinion? Maybe a picture?

Thanks,

Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 AM
diesel6060
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I paid $250.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:35 AM
andyp
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had my inner fairing and cap painted last yr.I bought the gold paint (Pittsburg HD) and my painter used his black and pinstripping paint. cost was $200,I also had him paint my tweeter pod black to match.Maybe the best improvement I have done ,And I have done many.Fairing is painted two tone to match my bike smoky gold and black with pinstripping .The Smoky gold paint cost around 70 bucks at a body shop supplier.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:04 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

$200 - $250 sounds fair.

Years ago I had a lot of experience painting but haven't done much in the last 10 - 15 years. When I see the cost of paint materials these days I cringe.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:21 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 253 Likes on 154 Posts

Unless it's a friend doing the job you don't want to go for the cheapest price. In painting you get what you pay for, having good recommendations is a good start. Talk to all the people that have been recommended & see if they can show you some pics of work they've done. Don't try & save $50 or $100, remember it's the thing you look at every mile you ride & you don't want those "little" imperfections looking back at you. An extra 1/2 hr can make all the difference in a decent job & a great job, the guy who's worry about how much he's making is going to take short cuts to make up for the$$. As far as the mirrors go just remember not to paint the adjustment ball or you won't be able to move them for adjustment.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:25 PM
jlsk624
Cruiser

Painted my inner 2-tone Dark Blue Pearl and Gloss Black. Went to try and have color matched and a pint was going to be 114.00, decided to buy a quart at the Dealer for 116.00. Well worth the extra 2 bucks in case I need it. Had the fairing painted at a local Car dealership for 125.00. Project turned out great.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they are buying/mixing the paint, thats not bad. I bought my paint at a NAPA that carries the House of Kolor paint detail and i had mine mixed (3 stage) and all needed supplies for $175. Mine is burgundy Wine Red. I had my inner and ign. cover done. My brother does custom car painting and I helped him and got it done for beer and BBQ. ALOT of time goes into prep and sanding.
If you are getting the whole thing in and done and being done by a reputable painter with quality paint, ( I would not use anything other than House of Kolor for something like this, cheaper than HD paint and matches perfect with computer scanner) for $250, I would say not bad.

I also had my custom trailer for the bike done at same time all with 1QT of paint. All match the bike.

Attached Thumbnails Inner Fairing Paint Cost?-100_1588.jpg   Inner Fairing Paint Cost?-100_1808.jpg  

Last edited by SecondChance!!; 01-08-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Before you talk price, you need to talk process; e.g. primer/binder, base coat (is he shooting test panels for best match), clear coat (is he sanding between coats to eliminate orange peel) and how many, what paint is he using, etc.

As for the fairing mirrors, mine were painted along with the rest of the bike and was worthwhile IMO. I don't have a great picture, but this will give you an idea:

http://

The mirror can't be disassembled, and you'll want to avoid painting the area on the back where the base and mirror rub together.

Also, in addition to the inner fairing and fairing cap, have the turn signal/idiot light bezel (small plastic flat oval piece) painted as well; otherwise, you'll have an unpainted black plastic piece to look at or cover with an HD chrome cover; I prever it painted to match the inner and cap.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

PS: If you think you might want the Hogtunes Hog Pod or the Hawg-wired tweeter that mount to the inner fairing, may as well get them now and have them painted as well.

PPS: I'm not a painter; but, when I was planning to have my bike painted I learned a bit about the process to know there's more to it than just putting paint in a gun and shooting, and it's important to know what you are paying for.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 01-09-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 PM
vonzoog
Tourer

Thanks Harleypingman,

That is what I wanted to see. I thought that it would look nice with the mirrors colored to match and now I am sure. Also thanks for the heads-up on the idiot light bezel. I had to run out to the garage and check....LOL. Did not realize it was a separate piece. Your fairing is just the way I was envisioning it would look.

Thanks for your input and picture.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:19 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I paid about half of what people are saying and mine turned out unbelievable.
http://mikeshawgpaint.com/

Quick Reply: Inner Fairing Paint Cost?