Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:12 PM
carverdave
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Concerns

First, let me say I am a believer in ABS. I've tested it many times and feel it stops the bike much quicker and with better control. However, the first time I braked hard was not long after I first got my 09 RKC (with ABS option). I wasn't paying a lot of attention and came up too fast on a turn I was going to make. I braked hard with just the rear brake and it clicked hard then all of a sudden I felt like I was on ice. The brake released and I felt like I had no brakes and went right past my turn. I've tried stopping hard again and again with just the rear brake and it does the same thing every time. When applying the front at the same time they work great (stops hard and fast). I just hope that in an emergency situation I can train myself to grab the front at the same time. I've been practicing. Has any one else had this same experience?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Brake hard with just the rear is poor technique.
You should only do that on slick surfaces, gravel etc.

I'm sure you know that & probably like most of us are a self taught rider.
It's not my intention to point a finger- but I know in my situation I had years of poor technique and it took alot to relearn riding and learn traction control

The advanced rider course and practice, practice, practice can be a life saver in a bad situation.
You can also practice straight line braking, gives you better judgement of stopping distance, so you don't blow past your turn.

There have been abs updates ( although not sure if that applies to 09) and you should check that yours is the recommended version.
If operating correctly, you should have heard the rear tire as it came close to lock up, you should also have felt the brake pedal pulsing ( banging).
If you didn't get it checked.
Fluid and pads ok? ---Riders often put alot more wear on the rear pads, to the point where they are gone.

Like you I find the front abs fantastic, and the rear less so when used alone.- but think that a reflection of the fact that front braking is more effective, and as the weight shifts onto the front end, the abs prevents lock up.

I have used the rear abs alone to very good effect on gravel roads roaming the wilderness of AZ on my EG classic ( much to the surprise of the KTM and KLR650 riders)

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-07-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:39 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

1. You should never try to stop or slow down hard using rear brake only. Lots of people do but you don't have much stopping power there. The rear wheel locks up easily. Not trying to preach.

2. Whats happening is that the sensor is picking up on the rear wheel about to lock up and so the ABS kicks in. If it didn't you would be skidding. It doesn't take much to get the rear brake to lock on these big heavy bikes.

3. There is an ABS download service bulletin for '09 bikes (I'm sure someone can provide the link). It reduces the length of the pulse amoung other things and improves the performance of the ABS. If your under warranty there's no charge.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Learned back in '88 MSF course to always brake w/both (front & back) and still use this habit when riding. Note: I apply front brake w/two fingers so I'm less liable to lock-up the wheel. Good insight on ABS functions, Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:52 PM
AngelaS
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like SG_Dave said, your ABS kicked in because it was very close to skidding. You were still getting the most brake power possible in your situation. I've had this happen to me before on a big bike (Honda, not HD).

Old 01-07-2011, 01:06 PM
jvvjvv
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A big +1 on the front brakes. I took a motocross 3 day seminar.......(years and years ago it the 70's).........the better part of one day was ONLY using the front brakes, .........(no rear at all)........ so you really got good at using the fronts.

My $.002 is to use only the front brakes for a "learning curve", except just before coming to a stop........then use only the rear.

The Brembos are the first Harley brakes, that could be called brakes, in the true sense of the word. The ABS set up works great.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:09 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Ok rather than piling on and repeating all the same stuff over and over, Yes the rear will do that even when using the front brakes especially when the road has sand or the like on the surface and also if the surface has bumps that causes the rear tire to become unweighted more than it was before the bump was encountered. The ABS reflash for 2009 is Service Bulletin M-1251. I have an 08 w/ABS and before I had the reflash for the 08 done the rear brake would behave exactly as you describe quite often regardless of the front brake being applied, when it senses rear wheel lock(and it is super sensitive to that)it releases the rear brake and is very very slow to let the rear brake to re-apply the pads to the rotor. The reflash helps a bunch but does not eliminate the lag in getting the power back to the rear brakes.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:22 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Learned back in '88 MSF course to always brake w/both (front & back) and still use this habit when riding. Note: I apply front brake w/two fingers so I'm less liable to lock-up the wheel. Good insight on ABS functions, Thanks for sharing.

I hope you didn't learn the 2 finger technique in your MSF course. In the advanced course they teach you to use all of your fingers and to firmly squeeze the front brake. You have very little strength in two fingers compared to using all four. I also doubt you locking up the front wheel is going to put you in danger. In the advanced course they have you go 20 mph and squeeze it hard as you can. When balancing that with the rear brake there are no major issues.

Not pointing two fingers - just sayin'!

Last edited by TickTock; 01-07-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

I always use my front brake more than my rear. I use the rear just to assist. Most all your stopping power is in the front, twin rotors weren't put there for looks.
I think if you didn't have ABS, you would have probably been on the pavement.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:08 PM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned the technique taught by the MSF to apply both the front and rear brakes when stopping. Both of the bikes I've owned have been ABS equipped and I've never had a problem.

Quick Reply: ABS Concerns