Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:40 AM
motorlessons
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taz,

As someone mentioned, there was an ABS re-flash that came out in about August, 2009. It was a nice improvement in the system. On your 2009, it's well worth checking that your motor has the latest re-flash.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 PM
tazmnaz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motorlessons
Taz,

As someone mentioned, there was an ABS re-flash that came out in about August, 2009. It was a nice improvement in the system. On your 2009, it's well worth checking that your motor has the latest re-flash.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown
Thanks, I was already thinking the same. I just sent the dealer an email with a copy of it to see if it has been done.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Harris,
I have a question about the ABS re-flash:
In June 2009 I rode a rental Electra Glide MY2009. I tested the brakes while riding at 30 mph when a cat ran from the side towards my front wheel. I was really impressed with the way the bike handled compared to my Yamaha FJ. The cat had plenty of time to react and we had eye contact...
In June 2010 I bought an FLHT (with the newer ABS version ?) and I noticed it doesn't react as fast in an equivalent situation. Is there an explanation?

With my 2010 Electra Glide in heavy traffic I find it safer to keep a safety distance where I can see the pavement under the bumper of the vehicle in front of me. In a quick start-stop situation behind a sports Audi my ABS gave me a real sweat

Old 01-15-2011, 03:46 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain

I have a 2008 with ABS and being a mostly city rider, I have had to brake hard enough to engage ABS on a few occasions. I must admit that I have never felt the ABS pulse in the front brakes but in the rear brakes the pulse feels extreme as if it just lets the rear tire go with out reengaging in a timely manner. I am sure that the rear brakes are probably reengaging; it just doesn't feel that way. I wonder if there is an upgrade program for the 08 ABS system like there is for the 09.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 PM
motorlessons
Tourer

Originally Posted by Expat1
Hi Harris,
I have a question about the ABS re-flash:
In June 2009 I rode a rental Electra Glide MY2009. I tested the brakes while riding at 30 mph when a cat ran from the side towards my front wheel. I was really impressed with the way the bike handled compared to my Yamaha FJ. The cat had plenty of time to react and we had eye contact...
In June 2010 I bought an FLHT (with the newer ABS version ?) and I noticed it doesn't react as fast in an equivalent situation. Is there an explanation?

With my 2010 Electra Glide in heavy traffic I find it safer to keep a safety distance where I can see the pavement under the bumper of the vehicle in front of me. In a quick start-stop situation behind a sports Audi my ABS gave me a real sweat
The problem I had with the earlier iteration of ABS on the '08 and newer, was that ABS would engage earlier than I liked on the front wheel. The reflash increased the allowable coefficient of friction.

I'm not sure if you're feeling the brakes don't react quickly enough for you, or that ABS is not engaging as quickly as you would like.

If it's the first, I can only assume you've got an issue with the brakes themselves (air in the line, etc.) not an ABS issue. The ECM cannot affect the mechanics of the brakes, only the programming of the ABS.

If it's the second, then you're gaining the advantage of the improved ECM flash, but apparently not recognizing it as a positive . You want braking without ABS activation. ABS is only there to prevent the wheel from locking. ABS activation actually lengthens your braking distance slightly, so you don't want it to activate. You do want it there in case of a braking error, that would have resulted in a locked wheel without ABS.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Old 01-15-2011, 04:12 PM
motorlessons
Tourer

Originally Posted by MSgt Rose
I have a 2008 with ABS and being a mostly city rider, I have had to brake hard enough to engage ABS on a few occasions. I must admit that I have never felt the ABS pulse in the front brakes but in the rear brakes the pulse feels extreme as if it just lets the rear tire go with out reengaging in a timely manner. I am sure that the rear brakes are probably reengaging; it just doesn't feel that way. I wonder if there is an upgrade program for the 08 ABS system like there is for the 09.
The upgrade is for any motor with the current ABS system ('08 and newer). You should have yours re-flashed.

The Harley ABS system provides a stronger "pulse" than a lot of people might like. I'm sure this was deliberate. It's very important for a rider to know positively that they have engaged ABS. However, apparently some of the feedback pulse is dependent upon the surface friction. In testing where I've run off pavement onto either gravel or turf, the lever pulse is not nearly as strong. By the way, the feeling you get on a very low friction surface is VERY disconcerting. Since there is almost no friction, there is almost no resistance. Since there is almost no resistance, ABS has to allow a LOT of wheel rotation to prevent lock-up. This ends up with a feeling something like no brakes at all. This is similar to what riders that use only the rear brake report when they brake on pavement. They complain the rear brake "does nothing". The reason is not because of ABS, it's because the rear brake doesn't have the ability to do much when used by itself, at speed. Since with ABS the wheel doesn't lock, they don't get the skid they're used to feeling indicates they're getting "good" braking.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Last edited by motorlessons; 01-15-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:31 AM
Expat1
Road Master

The problem I had with the earlier iteration of ABS on the '08 and newer, was that ABS would engage earlier than I liked on the front wheel. The reflash increased the allowable coefficient of friction.

I'm not sure if you're feeling the brakes don't react quickly enough for you, or that ABS is not engaging as quickly as you would like.

If it's the first, I can only assume you've got an issue with the brakes themselves (air in the line, etc.) not an ABS issue. The ECM cannot affect the mechanics of the brakes, only the programming of the ABS.

If it's the second, then you're gaining the advantage of the improved ECM flash, but apparently not recognizing it as a positive . You want braking without ABS activation. ABS is only there to prevent the wheel from locking. ABS activation actually lengthens your braking distance slightly, so you don't want it to activate. You do want it there in case of a braking error, that would have resulted in a locked wheel without ABS.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown
ABS brakes are over sized to perform in a pulsed way and accomplish their task without being affected by heat. The system is almost linear compared to what we had before. What I observed since "TEVES" in Belgium produced their ABS (about 30 years ago) is that the braking energy or power remains constant whether you ride/drive at 5, 30 or 100 mph. For city driving or in a bumper to bumper situation I would prefer a weaker grip or a power ramping of some kind. To be honest, today's Harley is a really fantastic piece of engineering.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Expat1
Hi Harris, ... With my 2010 Electra Glide in heavy traffic I find it safer to keep a safety distance where I can see the pavement under the bumper of the vehicle in front of me. In a quick start-stop situation behind a sports Audi my ABS gave me a real sweat
One of the first lessons you learn in dignitary protection and vehicvle driving is when you come to a stop in traffic that you always need to be able to see the bottom of the tires of the vehicle in front of you. It allows you an escape area if you need to make a fast exit. Same holds true for MCs. While riding my 1200C a vehicle was stopped in front of me trying to turn, past the crest of a hill on a one lane rode. Not only did I stop a ways back but I pointed my bike slightly to the right because of opposing traffic. Good thing I did as a cage came up behind requiring me to drive to the right of the vehicle turning or I would have been hit as the car screeched to halt where I was initially. Fortunately, nothing bad happened.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:10 PM
motorlessons
Tourer

Originally Posted by SUPRPIG
One of the first lessons you learn in dignitary protection and vehicvle driving is when you come to a stop in traffic that you always need to be able to see the bottom of the tires of the vehicle in front of you. It allows you an escape area if you need to make a fast exit. Same holds true for MCs. While riding my 1200C a vehicle was stopped in front of me trying to turn, past the crest of a hill on a one lane rode. Not only did I stop a ways back but I pointed my bike slightly to the right because of opposing traffic. Good thing I did as a cage came up behind requiring me to drive to the right of the vehicle turning or I would have been hit as the car screeched to halt where I was initially. Fortunately, nothing bad happened.
SUPRPIG's point is extremely important. I cover it in more detail in a booklet I've written. It's free if anyone wants it. Just e-mail me at:

motorlessons@hotmail.com

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Old 01-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Expat1
Road Master

SUPRPIG's point is extremely important. I cover it in more detail in a booklet I've written. It's free if anyone wants it. Just e-mail me at:

motorlessons@hotmail.com

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown
If only this could be the case over here, when I keep a safety distance in less than one minute some crazy drivers fit in the spot ahead of me. I know, I know, you can't be on the phone and respect others