Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
...so ride safe any way you see fit
I'll drink to that with ya!

Old 01-08-2011, 12:24 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

an issue that i have with 2 finger braking is that if you get into a situation where you have to brake with full force, you may end up with your other 2 fingers squished between the lever and the handgrip. some bikes have more travel than others on the levers. plus, glove thickness, etc. all come into play.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:02 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

the above is a more than valid point, you can't squeeze with a couple of fingers in the way.

you need no throttle control in a panic stop, remember pulling in the clutch is crucial to control in a full stop situation

with our abs systems, you need no "feel" for the road- you pull as fast as you can and think about steering for a clear path. I dunno if "feel" even exists. ( beyond the feeling of nothing when your brakes fade).

fact: a front wheel skid almost always results in a rapid dismount.- that alone makes abs worth the price of admission.

i encourage riders to think about training.
The elementary mistakes typically seen on a dealership group ride are frightening. ( as these rides often attract newer riders)
Take the course, practice the skills and get that reimbursement coupon from HOG.

mike

Old 01-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Learned back in '88 MSF course to always brake w/both (front & back) and still use this habit when riding. Note: I apply front brake w/two fingers so I'm less liable to lock-up the wheel. Good insight on ABS functions, Thanks for sharing.
It's far easier to lock up the rear wheel than the front because weight transfers to the front front wheel as you brake. That's why Harley puts two rotors on the front of its heavy touring bikes (and more sporty models).

Here are some good braking tips:

1. Which brake is the most effective?
The front brake is the most effective, giving between 60 & 80% of the bike's stopping power in hard stops, depending upon surface conditions. This is because most of the weight of the bike and rider transfers forward onto the front wheel when the brakes are applied.

A common example of weight transfer is when you trip on a gutter - your feet stop but momentum keeps the top of you going and you fall flat on your face. The weight transfer that takes place under braking on a motorcycle pushes the front wheel onto the ground and makes it grip very well.

2. Is the front wheel likely to skid if you apply the front brake hard?
No. The front wheel is likely to skid uncontrollably and bring you down only if you jam the front brake on hard. If you apply the front brake in a staged (progressive) process, the front wheel may skid but that skid is normally quite controllable.

3. Is the rear wheel likely to skid if you apply the brakes hard?
With most of the weight being on the front wheel, the rear wheel tends to be light under braking and will therefore lock up and skid very easily.

4. How do you control a rear wheel skid?
Control of a rear wheel skid is easy. Just keep your eyes up to the horizon and look where you WANT to go (not necessarily where you are actually going) and the bike will skid in a controllable manner with a minimum of fishtailing.

Basic and advanced braking techniques are best learnt under controlled conditions rather than when a truck pulls out on you! Your local motorcycle school will run a fun braking exercise session for you and some mates if you care to call the school and arrange it.

More here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...aking-tips.htm

Old 01-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Ctac
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you grab a fistfull of frontbrake you will go down in a hurry. Progressive power to the front brake is the key and probably the hardest reaction to an emergency to learn. The only reason to own an ABS bike is front brake skidding in my opinion.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:43 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by springer 03
If you grab a fistfull of frontbrake you will go down in a hurry. Progressive power to the front brake is the key and probably the hardest reaction to an emergency to learn. The only reason to own an ABS bike is front brake skidding in my opinion.
This is not my experience. It is a motorcycle not a 10 speed. Next time you go for a ride get around 20 mph and squeeze it as hard as you can while maintaining control with the rear slightly.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try that with the front wheel anywhere but straight. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:36 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by springer 03
Try that with the front wheel anywhere but straight. Don't ask me how I know.
I don't know what your experience exactly was, but in the advanced MSF course you do it straight.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:59 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
I don't know what your experience exactly was, but in the advanced MSF course you do it straight.
Braking in a straight line is always preferable to braking while negotiating a turn. ALWAYS! 2 wheels or 4, makes no difference.

Braking in a turn requires finesse and the degree of finesse required is dependant upon many factors, i.e., speed, turn radius, road camber, etc.

Quick Reply: ABS Concerns