Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROTORS: tips and what the hec is a "FLOATING" brake rotor???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:06 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
The best maintenance you can do for your brakes is to disassemble them now and remove/ clean the pistons. When the pistons get built up with road crud they will not move freely. This is the major cause of warped rotors. If you see your brake pads wearing uneven, this is a sure sign of dirty pistons binding in their holes. Purchase a rebuild kit from the dealer, usually just an o-ring kit for the calipers and clean the pistons, then reassemble. Just follow the instruction that come in the kit.
smokindave has got this right. Once you have that sticking OEM Sintered brake dust on your pistons, your pistons do not retract. You relay on the outer dust seal to pull the pistons back in. Once you have a buildup your pistons do not retract. Top of the line Brembo race calipers with Titanium pistons do not have dust seals so the team must clean the pistons every race. I have said many times to (OEM Sintered )clean your dust out with a tooth brush or what ever every 2,500 miles to keep them operating correctly. This is a bike that the owner neglected to clean the pistons. It has 7,500 miles. I do not care what anyone does because it is not my bike or my life. I am not the brake police but I do know what I am talking about. You never need good brakes to the end anyhow!

How To Install Brake Pads & Caliper Maintenance
<li style="font-family: Verdana;">Brembo 2008 ~ Current Brake Maintenance Guide PDF Download<li style="font-family: Verdana;">Twin Cam 2000 ~ 2007 Brake Maintenance Guide PDF DownloadTwin Cam Brake Caliper & Control Illustrations Guide PDF Download

Old 01-08-2011, 12:21 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Tiki
Floating rotors can also be damn annoying. They generally make a bit of noise as they shake, rattle and roll on the buttons that connect the outer ring to the carrier. The real question is, are you hard enough on the brakes to really justify the benefits of a floating rotor.

The picture below shows a true floating design but Lyndall Racing has a few interesting designs that I wonder how they perform and sound.

The rotors you have may not have the springs to keep them against the outside of the carrier or if you pull the c clips the springs may be broken and you have to replace them. The spring is for the noise but are unnecessary for operation.

Paul from Lyndall can no longer sell the MMC rotors, his are only Stainless Steel made in China <QUOTE>: The APEX Performance Rotor is an ultra-light friction ring fully CNC machined from functionally gradient metal composite material and is fitted to a 7075 T6 billet Aluminum carrier with 16 mm Aluminum buttons. The entire 11.5” & 13” fully floating rotor weighs 1.8 pounds. <QUOTE> They do not sound like anything. They have a coefficient of friction of 0.6 whereas Iron has 0.6 and Stainless Steel has 0.5. Of course brake pads make a difference also. These are my 13" rotors with Brembo monoblock (made with one piece of aluminum for stiffness) calipers.

A floating rotor can move a 0.100" side to side but can not move forward and backwards. They self center in the brake pads and are most useful when the rotor gets hot.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
The best maintenance you can do for your brakes is to disassemble them now and remove/ clean the pistons. When the pistons get built up with road crud they will not move freely. This is the major cause of warped rotors. If you see your brake pads wearing uneven, this is a sure sign of dirty pistons binding in their holes. Purchase a rebuild kit from the dealer, usually just an o-ring kit for the calipers and clean the pistons, then reassemble. Just follow the instruction that come in the kit.
+1 - your pads will also wear evenly when you do this, also grease sliders on calipers

If you don't have a floating rotor, DO NOT unbolt the rotor from the wheel, it will be warped if you do.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:20 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wholly buckwheat. This forum rocks.

I'm getting a serious (and free) education after starting this thread.

Keep it coming please - good stuff!!!!!!!!!!

Still 50/50 on what type of rotors to get for my stock OEM '05 ultra.

Thanks.
Dave H. Appleton, WI

(Go Packers - Philly cheese steaks for us tomorrow

Old 01-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I give HD a pass on this one. Although there's no side to side movement, they are a two piece rotor/carrier unit connected by button fasteners. If you really cook the brakes, the rotor can heat up and expand without warping the carrier. This works for street riding. I am pleased with the HD floaters I had installed when bike was new. They are smooth, no pulsating at the lever and look great!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:53 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Guess I must be an easy going rider, never had any troubles with the brakes over heating. Like what I hear about floating disks, but seems like more small parts to cause problems. What is the gain of having more pistons per caliper in stopping power? Have heard the same pressure is applied regardless of how many pistons the caliper has. Not looking to hi-jack this thread, just thought it might apply.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dchoran
Still 50/50 on what type of rotors to get for my stock OEM '05 ultra.

Unsubscribe.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM
dkitch
Cruiser
Default '03 Ultra w/Brembos/floaters

Bought new Brembos(not harleys)and floating rotors from Howard at motorcycle metal,he had them powdercoated black for me, they look and perform great, man knows his stuff.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CigarCritic

Unsubscribe.
Huh, I don't get it????