Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROTORS: tips and what the hec is a "FLOATING" brake rotor???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Fixed rotors will warp, I have a set of Heathens on their way back to Performance Machine under warranty.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:34 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I dont know about that. 80,000 miles on thies rotors and no warping?

Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
Floating rotors also help to keep the rotar from warping from heat when they get hot. Allows them to expand and contract without being hard mounted to the wheel assembly.

Floating rotors are generally considered "standard" in any higher performance braking system. I would not upgrade to floating rotors if you leave the stock calibers. Wouldnt gain any real benefit from the extra expense.
Bingo.That is really the only reason that floating rotors exist is the heat factor that makes solid rotors warp due to the area under the pads expanding so much faster than the other areas not under the pads in a high performance braking application using solid rotors.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Bingo.That is really the only reason that floating rotors exist is the heat factor that makes solid rotors warp due to the area under the pads expanding so much faster than the other areas not under the pads in a high performance braking application using solid rotors.
I wouldn't agree that is the only reason or even the most important reason. I believe more importantly the rotors give way slightly allowing full & even contact with the pads.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I warped my front rotors on my 07 just about every 12k miles. I finally put hd floaters on as my 3rd set.. they fixed my warping problems. I loved them.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:20 PM
ragingbull
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harleyboyddk
Bingo! Sharknose has it right. My White Lightning has floating rotors. You can grab the outer disk and move it in and out to be in line with the caliper. My HD floating caliper is cosmetic only. It looks just like a floater, however it is solid, just like a stock rotor.
They must have changed by 06. The HD floating rotors I got when I bought my Streetglide are the real thing, buttons, outer disc, etc...

Old 01-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '03 is pretty old compared to the new gear, so I imagine HD changed the hardware connecting the outer disc to the inner carrier. The drive pins connecting the inner carrier and outer rotor on the White Lightning are spring loaded and allow the disc to move side to side. The HD buttons holding the two units together have no such feature. No side to side movement. However they will allow the outer part of the rotor to expand with heat without any warpage you would get with a solid rotor. So I get half the benefit you have with actual full floaters.

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 01-07-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:00 AM
ragingbull
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to retract my statement. I grabbed the rotor like you described and no side to side movement.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Meatloaf-sc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I installed floating rotors I felt it was the best ugrade I ever made
Stock frot disks always had just a slight warp to them wich you could realy feal a slow speeds. the new floating rotors are always smooth as can be, I love them

Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingbull
I have to retract my statement. I grabbed the rotor like you described and no side to side movement.
ya, unfortunately the hd floaters are just for show. i warped my stockers on my '02 and replaced with hd floaters in '07. they were better than warped rotors but no better than non warped stock rotors.

fact is harley charges a premium for everything, are they really gonna come out with a true floating rotor that is cheaper than the actual floaters made by lyndall or progressive or brembo or what have you.......

Quick Reply: ROTORS: tips and what the hec is a "FLOATING" brake rotor???