Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Bfazona
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer Adjustment

I was wondering if anybody knew if the speedometer mileage can be adjusted? I just bought a set of Spun Aluminum gauges for my '11 RG and wanted to set the mileage to match my bike. The speedo shows ~14,000 miles on it and my bike only has a little over 2,500 miles on it. I called the dealer and they said that they only adjust speedometers that are purchased brand new, likely so that you don't buy used gauges and to snuff out illegal mileage adjustments. I even offered to send my factory gauge along to verify the mileage, but no luck. Is there any other option other than running a gauge with the differing mileage?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:45 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 319 Posts

The factory is the only ones that can adjust them.
And I don't if they can/will do it to used ones.

When you order a new speedometer from the dealer, you have to give them the mileage you want on it. They order it from the factory with that mileage.
The dealer has no way of adjusting it.

Too many chances of fraud if it was any other way.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,234 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfazona
Is there any other option other than running a gauge with the differing mileage?
11,500 mile road trip or ride it one season and put on a slew of mileage.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HD will only adjust a new speedo that is purchased through them. And it can't be done at the dealer.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

There's a law against this kind of chit. Do like dawg said.

However, I'm sure there is some shady garage in your town that can do it. I think the federal fine is $10K.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 01-06-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Bfazona
Tourer

Yeah, I might have to take Dawg's approach. I am going to Sturgis this year, so that will rack up quite a few miles. Maybe I'll throw the stock speedo in before the trip so the mileage catches up. I won't care if it doesn't match for a couple weeks.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a new HD tach / speedo combo from a discounter (M & M I think it was) for my '05 Road King. Being that I bought it from a reseller it was not possible to send it to the factory to set the milage.

When I sold it I disclosed the correct milage in writing to the buyer and had him sign it. I even had him sign a photograph of the speedo displaying the milage. In Minnesota there is a blank to fill in on the title to state the true milage if the speedo's milage is not correct for this kind of reason.

It is not illegal to sell a vehicle with a speedo that does not represent the true milage (In MN anyway) as long as you're not fraudulently representing the milage.

There are companies that can reset or change the milage for you and there is also an electronic device you can buy to do it. I looked into this in '05 so I don't remember but I think the companies that can set the milage are some of the same ones that change the LEDs to different colors.

Just checked; Blue Gauges will do it for $55.00 including return shipping. It is called Milage Correction.
www.bluegauges.com/mileages.htm

Last edited by Potato_Potato; 01-07-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 PM
d2jlking
Tourer

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These 'companies' that will do this :

Are they recognized & registered by the Federal Gov't ??

How do you provide them the authentication, that they aren't committing a felony ???

Odometer fraud is a HUGE no-no, as far as the Federal Government is concerned. Make sure you do your research !!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are not doing it for a fraudulent purpose and are taking reasonable precautions. It is not illegal unless you are misrepresenting the milage.

This is from their website;

Is it legal?

It is illegal if you knowingly sell the vehicle without informing the buyer of the actual mileage.

What is required to perform this work?

We require a copy of the title or a copy of the latest registration. We also require a copy of your driver's license. If the gauge is purchased used, we need a copy of the receipt. If the gauge is replacing a stolen gauge or a gauge damaged in an accident, a copy of the police report is required. If the gauge is replacing a damaged or malfunctioning gauge, you can send the old gauge cluster for verification of the mileage. Any other documentation to prove your actual mileage is always helpful. ALL ODOMETER WORK MUST INCLUDE A
COMPLETELY FILLED LEGAL DISCLAIMER. PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AND PRINT THE DISCLAIMER

REMEMBER, You must convince us that you have a legitimate reason for this service or you will be denied. We have the right to refuse any work that we feel isn't 100% legitimate.

YOU MUST EMAIL US FOR APPROVAL BEFORE SENDING GAUGES IN TO US FOR THIS SERVICE. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN THE GAUGES BEING RETURNED AND $20 CHARGE FOR RETURN SHIPPING AND HANDLING!!!

Quick Reply: Speedometer Adjustment