Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catless (gutted) stock headpipe vs aftermarket ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM
fireguy5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catless (gutted) stock headpipe vs aftermarket ?

About a month or so ago I did a 103 upgrade with SE255 cams on my '10 FLHTC. I didn't have enough pesos to do the headpipes at the time but now I do. But I've been wondering how much of a difference there would be between a catless (gutted) stock headpipe vs an aftermarket headpipe? Anyone have any experience with this? If there isn't much of a difference I figured I could use the money for another venture.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:06 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

If you do some research, I think you will find that the stock head pipes are good; I would save the money and remoive the CAT.

http://albums.phanfare.com/slideshow...3&a_id=4945184

Just be sure to remove all debris, I mean ALL, before welding back up. Any small particles left behind can be sucked back into the combustion chamber by a reversion pulse. That grit will cause problems, so just make sure all debris and dust has been removed.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 AM
JG09
Intermediate

I have an 09 RK. I put on a full 1.25 head pipe with slip-ons from Freedom Performance Exhaust. Sounds awesome and gained HP and TQ. When they removed the stock head pipe I noticed a flat part of the pipe. Where the pipe crosses under the bike to the left side, it is flattened to about a half inch. The new head pipe isn't that way. I think it breathes more now. I would recommend putting a head pipe on.
Just my opinion though.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 AM
fireguy5
Cruiser

I've searched for cat removals in the past and this has to be the best cat removal slide show I've seen. A little Bon Jovi for my listening pleasure just adds to it....lol. Thanks Dj.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

stock headers ( minus cat) are pretty darn good.

a 2/1 header is always a great torque enhancer ( which is nice for a heavyweight bike like ours) but the cost/benefit says stock style pipes & remove the obstruction.

...and you can say 'i did it".

mike

Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Subscribed

Subscribed
Thinking of putting an 09 header 2-1-2 on my 08 and this will also help answer some of my questions, thanks for asking it.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Energy-Dude
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look on the Fuel Moto website, theirs a comparison between stock headline and their new one on an 09 that didn't have a cat. It shows 3 to 5 HP and torque improvement. It would probably be more them that compared to a cat pipe. I have read elsewhere that the stock catless pipe is just fine up to about 80hp.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Energy-Dude
If you look on the Fuel Moto website, theirs a comparison between stock headline and their new one on an 09 that didn't have a cat. It shows 3 to 5 HP and torque improvement. It would probably be more them that compared to a cat pipe. I have read elsewhere that the stock catless pipe is just fine up to about 80hp.
It's better than that; just need the right mufflers to compliment the stock head pipe. Plenty of guys running larger displacement builds with the catless stock head pipe with Rush, Cycle Shack or Supertrap slipons making 120 plus numbers.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djl
It's better than that; just need the right mufflers to compliment the stock head pipe. Plenty of guys running larger displacement builds with the catless stock head pipe with Rush, Cycle Shack or Supertrap slipons making 120 plus numbers.
Agreed as I've bought Jamie's 2x1x2 header and dyno tuned mufflers for my 2011. The downside is you spend a few more bucks for quality parts with a lifetime warranty. The upside is you get to keep your stock stuff in the event you need to do a quick changeover to keep your factory warranty.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 AM
seawoo
Advanced

Is a tuner or download required after the Header MOD?

Quick Reply: Catless (gutted) stock headpipe vs aftermarket ?