Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problems - Bad Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Starting problems - Bad Battery?

It's been real cold in Virginia. Never used a battery tender because I usually ride at least once a week. Anyway, what is happening is this:
I turn the console switch to on, click the run button on the handlebar switch. I can hear the EFI cycle and all the lights are on. I have all accessories unplugged and toggles off. When I depress the start button, nothing happens. If I keep trying, like just hold the switch down eventualy it will fire and start up. I thought I was toast a couple of times last night. This has been going on a couple of weeks. The first incident, the bike was covered in moisture out in the unheated garage.
The battery is over 6 years old .... no clicks or any strange noises when it does not start. Thinking that it may be too late to start using a tender, considering I put significant mileage on it on Saturday which should have charged it real good.
Anybody got any ideas or thoughts that it may be something else other than the battery?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you tell if the lights dim when the starter does begin cranking the engine? If the battery is weak, normally the lights will pull down really dim during the crank. If the starter is not doing anything, it could be a worn out switch. My first action would be to take the battery in for a load test to confirm it is up to par, next would be testing the starter switch.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

When it starts does it turn over slow or just start like normal?

If it turns over slow 6 year old battery is a place to check first.
If it starts normal would look at the handle bar switches. Moisture could have gotten into the swithches.

Last edited by Moe55; 01-05-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,001 Likes on 4,192 Posts
Default Pull

Guess you do not have volt/ohm meter. Pull the battery and carry it to Autozone. They will put a charge on it if it is low since you can not check a low battery for free. Then they will check it by putting a load on it rated for the cold cranking amps of the battery and by reading that show the reserve capacity of the battery. Probably need a new one. Tenders help extend batteries but you need power for them of course. Six years is a good life, well above average from what I see on here.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-06-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member

Lights don't go dim and when it finally cranks does so with vigor. It's been really moist here and I actually washed it Monday because it was covered in road salt from the weekend riding.

Anybody take their switch apart before to clean it?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 6 years old your battery is a a dead one waiting. It strikes me that you are actually lucky in that it is giving you some warning. It has been my experience that to-days batteries, whilst they last longer give ZERO warning when they are ready to go. You can start it in the morning to go to work and when you come out in the evening it is dead

Old 01-05-2011, 09:49 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Theakerr
At 6 years old your battery is a a dead one waiting. It strikes me that you are actually lucky in that it is giving you some warning. It has been my experience that to-days batteries, whilst they last longer give ZERO warning when they are ready to go. You can start it in the morning to go to work and when you come out in the evening it is dead
I hear ya, but prior posters have given me the notion that it may be the switch. If it ain't the battery yet, well I can spend the money on that front tire that I have 51K on. You probably think I try to get the max out of everything .. you might be right!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It sounds like a bad connection to me. Tighten the ground and battery bolts.

Drew

Old 01-05-2011, 10:07 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
It sounds like a bad connection to me. Tighten the ground and battery bolts.

Drew
Drew, you may be on to something. I installed my Gerbings harness on Christmas day. I thought it had done this before, but will check for snugness when I get home.

Thanks everyone, I think I COULD possible save by not buying a battery, Dirty moist starter switch, loose battery connector, the fact that the lights don't dim when I try to start, I guess these things do point to possible OK battery.

Anymore thoughts are welcome. I'll let you all know what the outcome is!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Let me know. It could be a bad battery too, but it is difficult to diagnose on line. Good luck either way.

Drew

Quick Reply: Starting problems - Bad Battery?