Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Install the J&M amp on SG or Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:43 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone Install the J&M amp on SG or Ultra?

I just installed the speakers. Niiiiiice! Next up is the amp. I'm not too mechanically inclined and it mentioned following the wiring harness from the battery to the batwing. It even recommended removing the tank.

Did anyone else install this? Any tips? Would it be wiser to get a mechanic to do it?

Old 01-05-2011, 10:58 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreyjames
I just installed the speakers. Niiiiiice! Next up is the amp. I'm not too mechanically inclined and it mentioned following the wiring harness from the battery to the batwing. It even recommended removing the tank.

Did anyone else install this? Any tips? Would it be wiser to get a mechanic to do it?

You can do it. Pretty simple. Remove the seat, then you have a quick release for the fuel line, two bolts in the front and two on the back. There is the overflow/vent hoses, just pull them out, look where they came from so you can put them back and there is a wire connect. 5 minute job, a little longer the first time. After the tank is off there is a plastic conduit running along the frame, just pop the top off and expose the wire, actually all you need is to lift one side and poke the new wires in. The battery is covered with a plastic cover, remove that. The whole thing takes a little time but it is pretty easy. The wires for the amp are plug and play, they only fit on one way. If you do not have a repair manual you should get one, they come in handy.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Here is a link to a thread with pics of the install. It is qa simple install. You CAN do it.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...pics-here.html

Drew

Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It's not difficult to install at all. Don't waste your money paying someone else to do it, unless you are confident that you can't do it. Follow the detailed instructions and it won't take you that long.

We are also available for over the phone tech support should you run into any issues. Al is our resident J&M installer and has helped many forum members with installs over the phone.

Shawn

Old 01-05-2011, 05:02 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Or take off the seat, remove the front and rear dash bolt and gas cap, lift off the dash and run the power wire under the dash.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:40 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not mechanically inclined AT ALL, but my Dad and I did it in about an hour. Didn't remove the tank, just "lifted" it a couple of inches (enought to run the wiring harness under it), and didn't have to disconnect the gas lines or any of that other stuff. it was pretty simple. I was going to have it installed by the J & M people when I was in Sturgis this year, but they wanted around 250 bucks for the install so I said "no thanks". I'm glad I did too, saved a nice little chunk of money and got it done in an hour or so.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:43 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Its the same amp as the arc. I would pull the tank and do it right. Its not that hard.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to touch the tank. Run the wires through the frame. There is an opening rear right side top frame tube and an opening at the frame neck. Just make sure you install chafe guard to the wire. A tech at a local Harley dealer taught me this trick. Also, less change of radio interference. Running power lines close to the wire harness can cause issues.

One of the Radio installation Ten Commandments...

III. Never run signal wires, or wire harness alongside power cables. This is especially true in installations where high powered amplifiers are used. Large amplifiers are capable of drawing large currents. These currents vary with the musical demand of the program material as does the electromagnetic field surrounding the power cable. The more current that flows through the wire, the bigger this field becomes. If audio cables or wire harness are located in close proximity to this fluctuating electromagnetic field, noise could be induced into the system.

Last edited by DocHarley; 01-05-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 AM
23scum1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did it, not tuff take your time and pay attention to what you disconnect that's all.