Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you learn to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 PM
porkchopsd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you learn to ride?

Another thread got me to thinking, I am curious to see the different ways people learned to ride? Did you learn from a friend/dad/brother, take a course, teach yourself and what if anything do you do to improve your riding skills/abilities? Reason I ask, I was pretty much self taught, got my first sporty an 883 in 86, rode for about a year, 20K on the bike got in wreck, didn’t ride for years after then got back into bikes in 03 did a ride from Denver to Sturgis and I was hooked again. I found I was much more mature in the way I road, took a more defensive riding posture, I also picked up a great book called Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough, I thought I knew how to ride a big bike but I found out I didn’t know sh** Cornering lines, low speed handling, feathering the clutch, road hazards, quick brake techniques, he covers a ton of good stuff. If I can convince just one of you to pick it up, I would be happy. I also listen to old riders whenever I am lucky enough to hear them pass along a nugget of wisdom they have been around a long time for a reason. Can't cut all risk out of riding but I think you can improve your odds.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:28 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

12 years old on a honda 50 step through in a clay pit that was near the house. in colorado back then where i grew up, we could ride a bike with under so many horsepower at 14 years old. my dad had always liked motorcycling so i leaned from him and it became something we had in common that was fun to do. i'm sure that david hough covered countersteering as well, and the B.I.P.O. method of negotiating curves also. bipo stands for brake in, power out. there's a lot of information available as well as the motorcycle safety foundations course.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MSF course and lots of reading in the David Hough book of Proficient motorcycling. An excellent book that all should read if serious about staying safe and riding well.

After 75,000 miles in my first five years of riding with no drops or crashes... I think it is working. Every day has its dangers but working on knowledge and the mental skills will help even the odds.

R. Todd

Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Riding moto-x for years, going to a street bike was an easy transfer. I can tell you, riding a street bike makes me a better and more aware driver.

Last edited by JonnyD; 01-04-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 PM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 8 years old I started with a Montgomery Wards mini bike, solid frame self taught. Then onto a Suzuki 50 then a Suzuki 125 dirt bikes. Next was a moped @ 16. Then came the Honda's, Yamaha's and Harleys.

It has been enjoyable!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 PM
blueduramax
Cruiser

Rode trail bikes thirty years ago. Got my first big bike last year at the age of 72. I have gone through two bikes finding the one I really like, the one in my signature. I took the basic safety course though I already had my license (from years ago) and it really helped me. At age 73 I hope to have a few years riding left.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:49 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CrusingHarley
At 8 years old I started with a Montgomery Wards mini bike, solid frame self taught. Then onto a Suzuki 50 then a Suzuki 125 dirt bikes. Next was a moped @ 16. Then came the Honda's, Yamaha's and Harleys.
+1 - This is pretty much my story - got hooked on a mini bike at like 10, got a moped at 12 for paper route, then onto Motorcycles, 8 since then in the last many years.

Learning was easy - mostly common sense. Also watching other idiots do all the wrong things and seeing instant results is another great way to learn. Also hanging around riders older than me most of my life and listening.

But - I am still learning new things every time I ride. It never stops - that is half the fun!

Last edited by ChristoHD; 01-05-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:51 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

9yo i had a vespa ciao moped,at 10 i got a 72 suz ts125,as soon as my dad showed me how to take off with a clutch with out stalling it i never looked back, couldn't even barely reach the ground..i tought my wife in a parking lot,then she had to ride along with me a few times to get the shifting..

Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 AM
porkchopsd
Tourer

I haven't thought about my Monkey Wards mini-bike in years! I rode that thing all summer like 71 and 72 man I am getting old......

Old 01-05-2011, 12:23 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,323 Likes on 1,449 Posts

Back in '65 a kid down the street, who was like a big brother to me, had a Honda 50 Sport and taught me how to ride it. Been ridin' ever since.
R I P, Mark.

Quick Reply: How did you learn to ride?