Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you learn to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 AM
HotRoc54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started out on a 5HP mini bike I bought at JJ Newberrys Dept. Store with money saved up from my paper route. Moved on to a 50 cc Honda, Can-Am 175 and then into street bikes. Had several Jap bikes and moved into HD in 1997. I'm now on my 5th HD.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I started on friends dirt bikes, we did not have money to buy one, moved up to cheap Jap bikes in the 70's for street bikes local rides, stepped up to a pan head in the 80's and on up to the Rk today. Did have a hiatus of a few years after a injury left me partially blind in left eye, riding was less than comfortable for quite awhile with no depth perception and poor left peripheral view so just backed off for the time.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I started riding again after finishing my Army career, I took the MSF course, ordered the Ride Like A Pro video and practiced in a lot of parking lots until I became proficient. I still practice at least once a month, or sometimes just when I'm riding through a parking lot like WalMart. When I was young, I just bought a bike got on and hauled ***. Learned by trial and error method. Young, dumb and lucky

Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

6th grade . had to stand on a stump to get on my ol mans BSA 500 Royal Star and rip thru the woods on dirt roads. good times

Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Seadweller
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started on a Briggs and Stratton powered mini-bike as a youngster, then on to a Benelli 65 Hurricane at age 11. The rest is history.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

On a down note,......

About 10 years ago a bunch of us were on our way to Laughlin (back when I used to do Laughlin). We stopped at a deserted motel off the 40 near Goffs to sit in the shade and cool off. There was a guy on a Softail with his girl going around the parking lot. She was riding, and he was sitting behind her giving her instructions. Around the lot they went and we watched the show. After a few laps they pulled out onto the road and rode off with her still in the front, and him in the back giving her instructions. We shook our head and said "whatever". Ten mins later we left behind them. About a mile down the road we found them. The bike was off in the sand some 20 years off the road. The guy was panicking on the side of the road trying to waive us down. The gal had been thrown off and she had a tree branch THROUGH her left thigh. She way laying on her back moaning softly. A pick up truck pulled over and a lady jumped out with her first aid kit. That was NOT going to do the job. After 20 mins a CHP in a Crown Vic stopped. We asked if she could be airlifted and he said no. It was too far. Twenty more mins later the ambulance came. Because the gurney could not be wheeled through the sand the gal had to be carried over to the road and loaded in the back. The rest of us loaded the bike into the back of the ladies pick up and she followed the ambulance taking the guy along. He was still shaken up.

Later after everything had cleared out we all looked at each other. Back at the hotel, when we first saw them we KNEW that what they were doing was not a good idea and would probably lead to an accident, which it did. But we didn't say anything, we let them continue. It was one of those awkward moments, meaning we didn't know them, so who in the heck were any of us to give them suggestions and tips on a better way to give motorcycle lessons.

It's one of those things I'll always remember.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:29 PM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

1968 folks bought me a mini-bike with 3.5hp Briggs-Stratton engine. Then a couple years later a 71 Honda CB100 (tore the heck out of it). First big bike ride at 11yrs old was neighbors Honda 350 Scrambler (laid it over since had hard time pulling in clutch when stopping). At 23yrs old after being discharged from Corps bought 1972 R75 BMW . Should of been in alcohol rehab instead of riding motorcycles. After 2 years of terror ridding waited another 23 years and at age 49 bought my 08 FLHR new. Hopped on and have never looked back!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Shawrco
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porkchopsd
Another thread got me to thinking, I am curious to see the different ways people learned to ride? Did you learn from a friend/dad/brother, take a course, teach yourself and what if anything do you do to improve your riding skills/abilities?... I also picked up a great book called Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough
I bought a Honda 50 in high school ('67) but didn't stay with it after that. Bought a Yamaha 650 to ride to/from work on base in the Philippines, but didn't bring it back to CONUS. Off again for a long while until about 3 yrs ago got a Yamaha 1100 VStar, the progressed through '03 Deuce and now the EG Classic. Attended the MSF course when I got the VStar.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but would like to see it expanded to include how y'all progressed/learned how to ride w/a passenger. I'd like the Mrs. to start riding w/me - she is willing, but I'm holding back until I'm confident I can do it safely. TIA

Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 PM
porkchopsd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paniolo,
I think you mentioned in an earlier post that you have a riding class/school, where is it located?
Thanks,

Old 01-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

my dad asked me if I would like a mini bike in 4th grade, mom wanted to kill him and still does till this day, I said yes, had a number of dirt bikes and then in high school got, with a friend, a 650 bonnie tri, mom was pissed, dad helped rebuild, went the hard tail bobber route and quickly gave that up, switched to imports for price and a little comfort and then moved on to MOCO. Ive only been riding harley since this past year, but will never go back. I guees when I dedcided to buy after many a goldwing, harley got it right with the frame. seemed dream to me!!!!

Quick Reply: How did you learn to ride?