Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip :Adirondack-new england

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 PM
100bagr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip :Adirondack-new england

Planning a road trip in june. leaving form western PA and going up north through the adirondack mts into new england around and back. Have any of you done this trip or know the area. I'm looking to go wild hog style minus the fighting of a local mc. Would love to find some great places to camp. Also if you know some great roads to ride that we shouldn't miss please do tell or anything you as a local or experienced traveler of the area think a couple of rednecks, rubs, and some good o'l boys may enjoy. Not really looking to get out of the saddel to much as we are to make this trip in 4-5 days approx 500 miles a day. Thanks

Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 AM
FXDWG30
Advanced

Been on Route 28 and 30 in Adirondacks, great views and nice roads but was a couple of years ago so don't know what the condition of the roads is now with state budget and all. Route 7 in Vermont is a great ride and so is Route 2, Mohawk Trail, in Western Mass. Lots of mountains and good riding. If your in northern NY just remember to plan your arrival with a ferry or you will get wet crossing Lake Chaimplain. Just been through a little of NH and no Maine yet. CT Route 44 is nice too but just avoid Hartford.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:12 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Try 219, 39 Visit Letchworth State Park, (nice Gorge) outside of Geneseo,NY. Hit rt 20, 12 then 8 out of Utica, then roam around Adirondacks on 8,30, 3 over to Lake placid don't forget to ride up Whiteface Mt. road. I crossed at Plattsburgh (rt 2), Hit 15 over to the White Mt.s (NH) Conway, Mt Washington, Kancamaugus Highway, I hit rt2 then 9 all the way to Canadian Border then down to Bar Harbor and Rt1 I went south but came West just North of Boston and over to Catskill (cross the Hudson then) across rt 6 in Pa.

Finger lakes are cool, problem is either go to the north of them or south, hit Utica as your entry point into Adirondacks, Plattsburgh and east is very nice to get to the White, Mts.
I camped alot at mom and pop places or picked a nice dirt road and go down them about 500yds and dead ended at a nice river/stream...
Now a days its the mom and pop motels

Last edited by katobird; 01-08-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:29 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,638 Likes on 11,492 Posts

Rt 1 in Maine south of Belfast can be stop & go traffic
during the tourist season, plenty of quaint fishing villages
and locally owned eateries.
Rt 1 north of Ellsworth is less congested with traffic, and
is a completely different ride and scenery.
You can follow this through Madawaska and visit one of the
4 Corners Parks....in Fort Kent pick up rt 11 south and enjoy the
gradual hills and corners. Don't forget to gas up before leaving
Fort Kent....*just a friendly reminder*

Rt 201 north from Skowhegan will take you to the Canadian Border....
keep your eyes open for deer and especially moose. Rt 6 / 15 from
Jackman to Greenville is also in the area.

Rt 9 from Calais to Bangor or vise-versa is a wide-open road filled
with long sweeping corners and gradual hills....you can easily set
cruise control on 65 and not be bothered for 60 plus miles of the
90 miles on that road.

Just a couple of routes I've been on around here....when time draws nearer,
shoot me a message and I can offer more info with your specific plans.

Terry

Old 01-05-2011, 05:54 AM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did that trip last year, Rt 7 from Danbury CT north to VT was a good ride. The area around the Port Jervis area and Bear mt was nice as well...kinda foggy when we were there.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 AM
tshepherd
Advanced

Try and ride across the Kancamaugus Highway from Lincoln, NH, to Conway, NH. It's a mountain pass, lots of scenery, great curves. Can get some traffic, although June is early in the season up here. Great ride.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:10 AM
100bagr
Advanced

Thanks Terry I will take you up on that. We are leaving from just north of Pittsburgh. rt 28 seems to be a must along with whiteface

Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 AM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I did that run last May from VA. Great riding up there and like the previous post said don't miss the Kancamaugus Highway and the White Mountains. The adirondacks had the best scenery on the ride. Spent some time in Lake Placid and surrounding area and the ride down was great. If I were to go back I would just to the adirondack mts, beautiful.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:23 AM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

If you're going in June, Americade & Laconia will be happening, there will be plenty of people on bikes to point you in the right direction.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM
cdale976
Road Master

rt6 across nothern pa is nice30 north in new york gets you through the adirondacks then head to vt and new hampshire and maine dependin on days hit laconia and surroundin area. mt washington,kancamagus highway. loads of great ridin and doing 500mi a day would be a dream. loads of cheap motels and places to camp all over so long as not particular. ehjoy. on ride back to pa my backyard is open to tents. drop me a line

Quick Reply: Road trip :Adirondack-new england