Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many use an independant for maintenance/repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 09:18 AM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,350 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Always. Avoiding the dealer is a hobby of mine.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:24 AM
Max2015RGlide
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm starting to think that I need to hit at least around 15k miles a year to get my money's worth out of a dealer via a prepaid unlimited miles plan *OR* use an indie if I'm not planning (or am unable) to put on so many miles....

Theres nothing like the satisfaction of age-old thread revival �� if the cause is worthy...

Old 06-27-2016, 05:54 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

My local HD has never touched my bike and from what I hear from my friends he never will. There is a local indy that is a metric distributor that has very deep knowledge on HD. If I cannot do it myself it goes there. They ride each bike after service to make sure all is right.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Whodey
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indy all the way. Not only are the hourly rates cheaper but they have always let me bring in the parts and they just do the work. Dealer wanted almost twice as much tires than I was able to find them for online.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I use an indy. He's less expensive and much more experienced than most dealer techs. Best thing is he communicates better than any dealer I've used. It's nice to talk directly with a him versus a service writer.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:06 PM
Bogart99
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a local independent that's been at it a while - you'll save yourself a lot of time and money. The HD dealer mechanics (here) only know how to "throw" parts at a problem, at your expense! They don't know how to diagnose anything, anymore

Old 07-02-2016, 08:19 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Do what you can yourself and save a ton.
No doubt this is the only way to fly! Even if I can afford to have Harley do it it seems senseless to pay them for what I'm equipped to do. Now ask me this in 5 years and that may change....

Old 07-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Stopped going to the dealer years ago when they damaged something nearly every time. I now do all my own work except tire changes on the rim. I remove the wheels and take them and the tires I buy from Dennis Kirk to a great independent I know who does a superb job of changing the tires, generally the same day.

Fortunately I have a mechanic background and had my tools from that time, which I have added to significantly. I refuse to let anyone but me touch my bike mechanically and am much more satisfied and trusting of it because of that. If you have the ability, do the work yourself as you will save tremendous amounts of money and will really get to know your bike at all levels. If you have the tools that is.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:08 AM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Our HD dealer closed down a couple of years ago - I'm glad I found a great indie who used to work for HD.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:14 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Do it yourself or find a good Indy. Seen some pretty good screw ups at dealers. Bags falling off. Brake caliper fell off after a tire mount. More than one time muffler parts company from customer on way home...... 89% of the time it's never there fault

Quick Reply: How many use an independant for maintenance/repair?