Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many use an independant for maintenance/repair?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:54 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Texas Outlaw Cycles in San Antonio. Chris is a Harley trained mechanic. good rates and excellent workmanship.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,537 Likes on 10,799 Posts

I was turned on to an 'indy' by word of mouth.....Stopped by for a visit
and we talked for a half hour.
Certified HD mechanic, service manager and wrench for HD dealership....
became tired of their B.S. and stepped out on his own after 15 years with them.
He's @ $40 cheaper than dealer, and has become a good friend of mine.

I offered to pay for his time talking with me....absolutely would not take it.
He gets all my business

Old 01-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel like i get more personalized service from my indie. He'll call and explain what he does and why it needs done where the dealer just did it and then gave me the new price when i picked it up. Also my indie is less cost on labor and doesn't mark the parts up as much.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:09 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i use the indy by house for all things except warranty work -- he is slow as hell / a one man shop but he is meticulous.

HD charges 82.50 per hour he charges 47

Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Rick Lees
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well now that we're on the subject any of you missouri riders know of an indy close to wentzville missouri

Old 01-04-2011, 06:39 PM
harleyiron80
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stewy1200c
My Indy is also a ex- hd mechanic. The dealership he worked at for 14years went out of business due to poor business practices. He decided to go on his own, and I'm glad he did' $40 cheaper per hr. As a bonus he can honor HD EXTENDED Warrantys.
how do you find out which indy shops can do extended warr work is there a list ?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:40 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

The money spent at an HD shop will buy a service manual and tools to DIY. A guy can figure most anything out anymore with a book and the internet. Hell before I dive into anything I ask Google about it.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

I use a local Indy for everything I cant do myself. He's a little slower than the dealer but well worth the wait. He's cheaper, does better work and my bike doesnt come out with new scratches or dents. He builds very high end custom choppers and trikes, so he's very meticulous about taping off chrome and covering tins. Over the years I've taught myself to do more and more myself but occasionally there is a project I just dont know how to or dont have the tools to do. If you're out of warranty or have a non-warranty issue, and cant DIY, find a top notch Indy. You and you're bike will be happier for it. Word of mouth is the best way to find a good one. I dont even buy parts from the local dealer anymore, unless its an immediate need and a common item. They never have what I need in stock and charge the customer shipping for ordering.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Indy is a retired HD mechanic whos last job at a dealership was fleet mechanic for a local police dept. up sides he is 2 miles from the house, is cheaper than the dealership and does better work than the local shops. Downside you dont make a appt with him you call and tell him you need work done he will call back when he is ready for you to bring it in.( he is retired after all. this is just some side income)

Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Blackheat
Tourer

My Bike is out of warranty so I have an independent guy never had any issues. If you use same guy he will get to know you and the bike and might get a little discount. But he is almost as expensive as the HD dealer

Quick Reply: How many use an independant for maintenance/repair?