Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baton Rouge to Ft. Collins, Co

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011 | 12:19 PM
divealso
|
Novice
Default Baton Rouge to Ft. Collins, Co

We are planning a trip from Baton Rouge to Ft. Collins at the end of May. (3 bikes with solo riders)(Ultra, Road King, and Fat Boy). We plan on camping part of the time and staying at motels some. (prefer camping)
I would appreciate any/all information on routes, things to see, places we can "throw up a tent", camping experiences and things to watch for, etc.
This will be our first experience camping with our Harleys. Need to know things to take, not to take, what to watch out for.
We will be spending several days in Ft. Collins area. What are some of the things to see, places of interest, good rides, etc.
Thanks

Old 01-04-2011 | 12:27 PM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

It would probably be best to first figure out a route, then search for camping along (or close to) that route.

Sounds like a fun trip. Hit me up the next time y'all head out for a weekend ride, I'm just up the road in Zachary.

Old 01-04-2011 | 12:37 PM
big ears
Tourer

Once in Colorado, take 69 out of Walsenburg, then 291 to Royal Gorge area, then 9 north to Breckenridge. From there you can go anywhere north and the roads are great and the view will strain your neck. Rocky Mt. Park is on the way to Ft.Collins. It gonna be cold in May. You will need good sleeping bags.

Old 01-04-2011 | 12:53 PM
divealso
|
Novice

I am planning the route using the HD ride planner---basically BR 190 to Opelousas, I49to Shreveport, I20 to west of Dallas(Probably go around Dallas), 287 to Amarillo, 287 to Kit Carson, 40 to I70, bypass Denver, I25 to Ft. Collins. Needless to say, I would rather not travel the Interstates. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-04-2011 | 01:32 PM
StreetKing
Tourer

Man your if for a treat! Go to Estes Park,take 34 all the way through Rocky Mt. national park then you can make so many different loops.You can take 40 towards Steamboat, then to 14 back to Ft. Collins.My son just moved from Ft. Collins to Loveland. It's is all spectacular out there. The wife and I did a 10 day trip all through there. I rented a RoadKing from Greeley HD.Camera and warm clothes.

Old 01-04-2011 | 03:02 PM
michaelm
Tourer

A gazillion great Colorado rides. Google "colorado motorcycle maps" you'll find a lot of info...

On the way up, have you considered riding the Natchez Trace? Route 66 from Tulsa to Albuquerque? Don't know how much time you've got...

Old 01-04-2011 | 03:12 PM
motorlessons
Tourer

Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain NP will NOT be open yet in May. However, There are nothing but great rides out of the Ft. Collins/Loveland area.

First suggestion:

US 34 west from Loveland to Estes Park, then south on the Peak-to-Peak Highway, to Blackhawk/Central City, then either US 6 down Clear Creek Canyon, or cross I-70 to Evergreen, and down through Morrison.

Feel free to PM, if you want more suggestions, this is my backyard.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Old 01-04-2011 | 05:44 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

Hit highway 7 through Arkansas

Old 01-04-2011 | 06:03 PM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I'd hit YOUR route till the other side of Dallas, then nothing but back roads from there. Everything between BR and Dallas can be done when you've got time for a long weekend ride.

Old 01-04-2011 | 06:21 PM
1stGlide
Cruiser

When you get to Ft.Collins there's tons of places to see. You can head North on 287 to LaPorte and then South along Horsetooth Reservoir down to Carter Lake and stop at the bar there on Carter 1/2 day ride. There's a new place in Ft. Collins that's called the Hideout that is very biker friendly. Great food and prices. You can head up 287 to Ted's Place-up Cameron Pass (bring your leathers and electric clothes- never can tell what the weather is going to be) to Walden. Then up to Laramie and then back to Ft. Collins.

Quick Reply: Baton Rouge to Ft. Collins, Co