Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Knees

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 AM
VicDawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Knees

So, I've been putting off knee surgery form many years. Now, they are going to have to replace both knees. I'll be doing the right one on the 10th of January and the left as soon as the right one has healed sufficiently. I have been riding for over 40 years so I have no qualms about that, my fear is if the bike ever starts to go down, the natural reaction is to hold it up and keep it from touching the ground. I am wondering what the stress of holding up close to 900lbs in a somewhat precarious position would do to an artificial joint, of course, I'll have that conversation with my surgeon, but I was curios whether anyone here has any advice. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:25 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with your surgery, hope it turns out well for you and you are back in the saddle before you know it. When 900lbs decides it wants to take a nap, let her go, thats what insurance is for. Its not worth your health to try and save a few dollars in damage that will occur, just my .02. Hope that helps you out some. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:05 PM
PJ 08 annv ultra
Novice

Had both replaced a year ago Dec 8 by a type of joint made by DePuy that can rotate like the original, took first ride in April here in Michigan. I was nervous at first but glad I did both at the same time.
I don't even think about my knees being "fake" and have enjoyed riding better now with no more pain. Good luck and do your homework on the Doctors.
Pat

Old 01-04-2011, 04:11 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

before goining under the knife, check out the various hospitals in your area for the frequency of staff(staph?) infections. know several people that have gotten staff infections after surgery- couple even died. these infections sure make the recovery long and painful. use a hospital with a good track record.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
bikehe
Tourer

vicdawg, I'm sure it will be fine, but I suppose the best answer will be from your surgeon. For what its worth, my knees arent the best, left one dislocated and right one damaged in a slide some time ago. When and if my bike decides to go I wont argue with it, but I'm sure your knees will be better than mine after your surgery if that helps build some confidence. I mate of mine had both done on separate occasions and said the recovery was just as important as the surgery. Hes now back on his roadking with no problems. Hope you have a good recovery.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:29 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PJ 08 annv ultra
Had both replaced a year ago Dec 8 by a type of joint made by DePuy that can rotate like the original, took first ride in April here in Michigan. I was nervous at first but glad I did both at the same time.
I don't even think about my knees being "fake" and have enjoyed riding better now with no more pain. Good luck and do your homework on the Doctors.
Pat
i have to agree with the previous posts on this subject.got both of mine done over the last 2yrs and they are very durable.but you still have to use common sense . good luck

Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Robert_W
Tourer

Good luck to you VicDawg. If the bike is going to take a nap, let. it. A few scratches on the crash bars ain't nothing. That's what Captain Itch's leather crash covers are for.

You'll be back in the saddle before you know it,

Bob.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

My mom had her right one replaced just over 24 hours ago. They've had her up and walking and she already feels better and she told me that she's already looking forward to having her other side done later this year.

Good luck on your surgery...take it easy on rehab and we'll see you on the road this spring.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my left replaced in 2005. Holds the Ultra up fine.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

man whiskers, that's amazing. i didn't know that it'd be possible to be up and walking that quick. at that rate she's going to be entering the upcoming marathon races. i grew up in pueblo myself. congrats on your mom doing well.