Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Rode a HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 AM
SugsPa
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Finally Rode a HD

My current ride is a Yamaha RSV. Yesterday I dropped it off at the Yamaha dealer to have the ignition switch replaced (common problem with the RSV), and while on the way back, my Uncle talked me into going by the HD Dealer. Well, I did. And while I was there I rode a 2005 Ultra Classic, Smokey/Gold color, ...............and I loved it! It handled so much better than my RSV. And once I got it out of idle, it was very smooth going down the highway. And power, WOW! It had something to do with Screamin Eagle? Don't know nothing about them, but that was one HD my Yamaha would not keep up with. And I doubt that a GoldWing would either. And of course, who doesn't like the sound of them. Anyway I'm considering trading my RSV for this HD. I don't want to step on anyone's toes or make anyone angry, but my bike is my daily driver. Its what I use to get back and forth to work. When I go on vacation, I throw some cloths in the bags, on the bike and go. In other words its my primary means of transportation. The only thing that keeps me off my bike is ice/snow. Rain........Well, as you all know, if you ride, you're gonna get wet sometime. Everything mechanical has its quirks. Ignition switches on the RSV for example. Its not if it goes bad, its when it goes bad. But after 40,000 miles in two years of trouble free riding, I'm not going to gripe too much. The question I have is, with regular service and maintainance (taking care of it), can I get 15 to 20 thousand miles per year on an HD and 100 thousand plus lifetime miles without having major problems (motor blowup, etc.). I can't take my Uncle's word for it cause he never buys anything he don't work on (or tear up). He could buy a 2011 Cadillac Escalade and by the next morning, it would be tore apart in his front yard (ya know the type). He can't help it, he just has to know how things work. There is no better place to get info than on the forum. You people ride everday, so your input and experience is priceless. Oh, and by the way the sales people were GREAT!

Thanks,

SugsPa

Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was worried about the same thing. I learned most HD problems are self inflicted if you get it and ride it will last alot longer. You start making a bunch of changes i.e. stage one, mufflers, cams, you start having problems. I have had my bike for 2 years and its like a daily rider and even all winter, knock on wood no problems and I have 15K on it now. The engine management systems with the o2 sensors and the other extras have made a world of difference in reliability. Oh btw I once saw a 1998 RKC with a 95" kick a Goldwing's a$$ in a street race.

Last edited by fireaxxe; 01-04-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 AM
coldmcrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SugsPa
The question I have is, with regular service and maintainance (taking care of it), can I get 15 to 20 thousand miles per year on an HD and 100 thousand plus lifetime miles without having major problems (motor blowup, etc.).
You can ride them a lot and they are reliable as daily transportation. 100k plus no problem

Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the oldtimers will have to respond to this one, but they're going to tell you that as long as you do normal maintenance the HD touring bikes will be very reliable over 100k miles.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM
badknees
Road Master

They are a good reliable bike. But like with anything you can always get the one that has some trouble. If you are at a HD dealer ask him to take your to the service area. At mine it is a great setup you could eat off the floor and they have the right equipment. Compare that to a rice burner shop and I think you'll be impressed.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As with most anything mechanical, if you take proper care of it you should have no problems getting 100,000 miles and then some. Like stated above, things happen, not just to Harleys either, seen plenty of metric bikes crap out right out of the blue. I don't think you would have a problem with that scooter as a daily rider. Next time you're at the dealer, ask to see the paperwork for all that has been done to that bike. Should give you some clue as to how she has been in the past.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SugsPa
My current ride is a Yamaha RSV. Yesterday I dropped it off at the Yamaha dealer to have the ignition switch replaced (common problem with the RSV), and while on the way back, my Uncle talked me into going by the HD Dealer. Well, I did. And while I was there I rode a 2005 Ultra Classic, Smokey/Gold color, ...............and I loved it! It handled so much better than my RSV. And once I got it out of idle, it was very smooth going down the highway. And power, WOW! It had something to do with Screamin Eagle? Don't know nothing about them, but that was one HD my Yamaha would not keep up with. And I doubt that a GoldWing would either. And of course, who doesn't like the sound of them. Anyway I'm considering trading my RSV for this HD. I don't want to step on anyone's toes or make anyone angry, but my bike is my daily driver. Its what I use to get back and forth to work. When I go on vacation, I throw some cloths in the bags, on the bike and go. In other words its my primary means of transportation. The only thing that keeps me off my bike is ice/snow. Rain........Well, as you all know, if you ride, you're gonna get wet sometime. Everything mechanical has its quirks. Ignition switches on the RSV for example. Its not if it goes bad, its when it goes bad. But after 40,000 miles in two years of trouble free riding, I'm not going to gripe too much. The question I have is, with regular service and maintainance (taking care of it), can I get 15 to 20 thousand miles per year on an HD and 100 thousand plus lifetime miles without having major problems (motor blowup, etc.). I can't take my Uncle's word for it cause he never buys anything he don't work on (or tear up). He could buy a 2011 Cadillac Escalade and by the next morning, it would be tore apart in his front yard (ya know the type). He can't help it, he just has to know how things work. There is no better place to get info than on the forum. You people ride everday, so your input and experience is priceless. Oh, and by the way the sales people were GREAT!

Thanks,

SugsPa
Congrats on experiencing a motorcycle with soul!

I put 25,000 miles on my 2009 Ultra last year and had work not been so insane the 2nd half of the year, I'd have easily put another 15,000 on...

Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 AM
soulpony
Road Captain

Welcome to the Darkside.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Garcou
Club Member

Just talked to a fella last night, He has a 2006 Road Glide, his odometer says 189000! Almost 200000 miles! Only thing he gas changed is cam tensioneers and only once!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

The type of miles your talking about shouldn't be a problem. Every machine has a few common problems" but most problems are due to negligence or abuse.
As far as performance sounds like the bike you rode must have had some upgrades. Don't expect that kind of power from a stock Harley.

Quick Reply: Finally Rode a HD